EPA gas tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Wolf

Reaction score
I just bought a new 15hp Tohatsu to replace my aging (read broken) Johnson outboard.
Love the new motor but they only give you a 3 gallon gas tank with it.

The owners manual has all kinds of cautions about only using EPA approved pressurized tanks and special hoses.
Can I just cut the end off the hose on my old 6 gallon tank and put on the Tohatsu connector?

Thanks

Short answer—yes, it will work just fine. I recently purchased a 20 hp Tohatsu . One of the first things I did was find a good used 6 gal OMC metal tank (the 20hp Tohatsu also comes with a 3 gal tank) It was just a matter of putting the Tohatsu connector on the motor end of the hose. As far as the size of the tank is concerned, the 20hp burns 1.6 gal an hour at WOT, at about 23 mph, I can go a long way on six gallons of gas. The main reason I switched is that I prefer the old metal self-vented tank design to the new plastic non vented. But then non ethanol premium is readily available, and I’ve had no problem with moisture in the old tank.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you're traveling 20 miles, you don't need 6 gallons of gas. That Tohatsu just sips fuel compared the old 2 stroke motors. About half the usage on average. What I found with mine (25hp) is that with a 6 gal tank, the fuel gets stale before I used it up so I switched to a 3.3 gal tank; and still don't use it up either but at least it's easier to dump it out once every couple weeks--and that's about the life expectancy of fuel before the start of problems. Couple weeks. And no, warranty doesn't cover plugged carbs or plugged injectors resulting from stale fuel.

turbotodd said:
Unless you're traveling 20 miles, you don't need 6 gallons of gas. That Tohatsu just sips fuel compared the old 2 stroke motors. About half the usage on average. What I found with mine (25hp) is that with a 6 gal tank, the fuel gets stale before I used it up so I switched to a 3.3 gal tank; and still don't use it up either but at least it's easier to dump it out once every couple weeks--and that's about the life expectancy of fuel before the start of problems. Couple weeks. And no, warranty doesn't cover plugged carbs or plugged injectors resulting from stale fuel.

Life expectancy of fuel only a couple of weeks? I've had my older boat for 30 years. I leave fuel in the tank for 8 months over the fall and winter and have never experienced any fuel related issues. I do add some Stabil in the fall to the tank, but that's it. I fill a can with gas for my lawnmower that lasts all summer and don't add any Stabil. Lawnmower never has problems. Even my Ford F150 sits for months on the same tank of gas without being used and in 16 years of ownership, never has had fuel or carb issues.

If you have a tank you like I'd just swap connectors and call it good. If you still have a 2 stroke though you occasionally use just don't confuse the premix tank with with the tank with no oil in it.

On top of the tank issues, I feel like primer bulbs are all junk nowadays too. I could use a new one of those if anyone has a recommendation.

Your key words there on the fuel were that it remained in usable condition over the Fall and Winter....with Stabil. Those are the cold months and the fuel was probably covered as well I would think. At least you are using something to preserve the fuel.
Lawnmowers get run frequently when fueled for the season.

Todd sees the damage from rotten fuel on a regular basis and so do I. You do whatever you like with your fuel but we will still advise folks to use and replace often.

If you get tired of that can blowing up like a balloon and rolling around inside the boat look into one of these...

https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Tempo-Manual-Vent-Gas/dp/B00BN67792/ref=asc_df_B00BN67792/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309830501429&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10462996512962175877&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013132&hvtargid=pla-569960377833&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=57212496130&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309830501429&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10462996512962175877&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9013132&hvtargid=pla-569960377833

I like the old fashioned steel tanks too. I found an old 3 gal and an old 6 gal steel tank for next to nothing and rebuilt them. You can too.100_0190.JPG

Attachments

• 100_0201.JPG
    100_0201.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 715
  • 20170209_153439.jpg
    20170209_153439.jpg
    728.6 KB · Views: 715
So far I've used a little over a gallon and a half in 2 1/4 hours at less than 1/2 throttle. (still in break in mode). The manual said 1 1/2 gallon/hour at WOT.
If I'm out for a day I think I could easily run 2-3 hours at various throttle. That's too close to empty for me to be comfortable.
I think I'll pick up the Tohatsu connector and put it on my 6 gallon tank. I'll give it a good clean out first and I have an inline filter too.

Thanks for the responses.

If you check out Scepter fuel tanks, you can get a replacement gas cap for around $15 or less that is old style and has a manual vent so you can open it when running and not pressurize the tank.

wmk0002 said:
If you have a tank you like I'd just swap connectors and call it good. If you still have a 2 stroke though you occasionally use just don't confuse the premix tank with with the tank with no oil in it.

On top of the tank issues, I feel like primer bulbs are all junk nowadays too. I could use a new one of those if anyone has a recommendation.

I like the Mercury OEM Quicksilver primer bulb.

ktoelke54 said:
wmk0002 said:

I like the Mercury OEM Quicksilver primer bulb.

Thanks!

Latest posts