Anyone with a newer Suzuki DF60A on a 16' Jon?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowgrn4

Reaction score
Snagging a new '20 Zuke 60 and need correct SS prop choice. Hull, '00 Weld-Craft 1652 side console. 16'3" long with 18" factory transom pods for a 17'9" total length. Dry hull 550 lbs and rated for 60HP max. 12 gal fuel tank in rear, 2 group 31 batteries up front. Trolling motor. I go 230 and my wife half that. '03 Johnson I just sold would top out 32MPH @ 5,700RPM with 17"pitch SST prop. New engine weighs 35lbs more than old 50HP and is rev limited up to 6,300RPM. I will be rigging new engine on a 3" setback manual Jack plate to fine tune height. Anyone with this Zuke on comparable hull?

I have the DF25A motor and I know it is alot different than the 60, but you may want to do some research on SS props for your motor.
I put a SS on mine and the prop chatter was terrible! The vibration in gear at idle was bad too. I sent my SS back and just stuck with aluminum. That is the only down side that I have found with the new Zuke, other than that it has been flawless.

Bought a SS 15" Powertech. See what happens in a couple weeks after the boat is rigged.

Any updates?
My boats a 1652 and rated at 60hp. I've never had bigger than a 40hp on it,just wondering how your boats handles.

It runs great. Very quiet and easily double (10-11MPG @ 4K RPM @ 22-23 MPH) the MPG of the dual carburetor '03 50HP Johnson 2-stroke I had. Hole shot and top speed is around the same as the 50HP. The Zukes much smaller lower unit and smaller prop allows me to air out the hull higher without porpoising which helps MPG. Only negative is the longer warm up time 4 strokes need to get oil temp up, around 10 minutes on a cold start and 3-4 minutes on restarts.

Very happy so far but I only have around 40 hours on engine as of now.

DW and I took it up on the St Johns today to get a handle on MPG. Ran 53 miles @ 3,900RPM @ 23MPH (26.5 Miles @ 21MPH against the current, 26.5 miles back@ 25MPH with it). Used 4.85 Gal.

Very happy with those numbers.

Very nice numbers....unless I'm in the salt water, we don't have any waters that long.

We put in at the public ramp in Palatka yesterday on the St Johns and ran upstream to Dunn's creek all the way to Crescent lake and back with a side excursion west on Mason creek then back to the main river. Stopped at Corky Bell's for lunch on the way back. Great day. 41 miles and used 3.9 Gal.

Google the St Johns river if not familiar, it's huge.

More great MPG numbers on Thurs. Ran the Silver river up to the main spring and back around 10 miles round trip at idle speed then ran south on the Ocklawaha River to the lock and dam at 314A and back to the ramp on Hwy 40. 54 miles total indicated on the Garmin GPS and used just 3.6 gal of fuel. 18 miles at idle and 34 miles on plane between 3,700 and 3,900 RPM at around 20 mph.

Around triple the MPG of the OMC '03 50 HP 2 stroke I had on it. Amazing! Zero smoke and much quieter too.

Just for reference my 2019 Suzuki DF20ATS2 does 25mph, 18 mpg, on a 1462 Semi-V-hull . . . met a guy at the dock last week that ran 30mph on a 16' Tracker V-hull with a new 60HP Mercury . . . it was never about speed anyway but I always wondered how much more horsepower was needed for every 5mph

Those Suzuki’s are nice motors. When my ‘88 30hp Johnson became too problematic I bought
a 2018 DF30A and couldn’t be more pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts