No spark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shanny871

Reaction score
I put in a new power pack on my 1987 88hp Johnson because I was having some misfires at mid to high rpms. Now i don't have spark on cylinders 3 and 4. I was pretty sure the original power pack was the problem because there was rip in the coil fitting boot and I could see the terminal. If one power pack doesn't get voltage could it be the stator or would you suspect a bad power pack?

shanny871 said:
I put in a new power pack on my 1987 88hp Johnson because I was having some misfires at mid to high rpms. Now i don't have spark on cylinders 3 and 4. I was pretty sure the original power pack was the problem because there was rip in the coil fitting boot and I could see the terminal. If one power pack doesn't get voltage could it be the stator or would you suspect a bad power pack?

Need to put a DVA on it and check every component, anything else is just speculation.

Thank you for the info. Is there any case where it would allow one power pack to deliver spark to cylinders 1 and 2 and the other power pack to not give spark to cylinders 3 and 4? Like one power pack does not receive power but the other does?

shanny871 said:
Thank you for the info. Is there any case where it would allow one power pack to deliver spark to cylinders 1 and 2 and the other power pack to not give spark to cylinders 3 and 4? Like one power pack does not receive power but the other does?

Is it a V4? I dont know much about those motors but I think on V blocks if you lose spark on one side its often a stator. Again, I don't know much about them just relaying stuff I've seen others post.

wmk0002 said:
shanny871 said:

Is it a V4? I dont know much about those motors but I think on V blocks if you lose spark on one side its often a stator. Again, I don't know much about them just relaying stuff I've seen others post.

Yes it is a V4. dual power packs, after replacing the power pack I think was bad, now I don't have spark on either cylinder connected to that power pack. I do not know if there was spark there before I changed the power pack. That's why I was wondering if each power pack, is powered independently or not.

Before folks start suggesting throwing more parts at it lets go back to basics.
What is the engine doing, when did it start, is this a new to you engine, when was it run last.
How are you checking spark?
The statement that you now do not have spark on cylinders 3 and 4 does not make sense as those are the bottom cylinder on each bank and each of those cylinders are controlled by separate power packs which would mean both are failed.
Lets start again. Looking at the rear of the engine the bank with the highest cylinders are #1 and #3. The opposite bank is obviously #2 and #4. Now....tell us what cylinders are not firing and how you are checking spark.

Pappy said:
RBW - Swap any plug wire onto any cylinder you want....it will not shut off the spark, will just be out of time. Read the thread again.

Thats not what I was suggesting at all.

Will it run when out of time?

It could be the timer base. We just replaced a power pack on a 97 v-6 200 johnson and thought after ohming it out, that was it. We put a used timer base on it and it fired right up on all cyl.
I also have a v-4 crossflow 90hp with no spark on the starboard bank., just have not had time to mess with yet.

RaisedByWolves said:
Pappy said:
RBW - Swap any plug wire onto any cylinder you want....it will not shut off the spark, will just be out of time. Read the thread again.

Thats not what I was suggesting at all.

Will it run when out of time?

Normally it will not run. Typical characteristics are a pretty severe kick back of the flywheel when an affected cylinder hits out of time.
Symptom is similar to that of a sheared flywheel key.
Now...back to the show!

Latest posts