1987-88 Johnson 20hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatChad

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up this 20hp Johnson id say 87-88 based on the cable tiller, kill switch location and decals, but the plate is missing so that's as close as I got. Anyways, the lower front rubber mount in the midsection is bad, anyone have a source for those or a parts motor laying around they want to sell me some parts off of? In addition to that there is a broken starter housing mount, is that something I could just epoxy back together? Thanks in advance for the help.IMG_20200401_090106028.jpg

I have been getting parts from Marineengines.com. They have good catalogues. If a part # is shared between model years you can have confidence it is the right one.

Please post picture of starter mount. Those get a workout so I doubt epoxy would be strong enough. Maybe it could be tig welded, but getting a used part is the surest fix.

Iboats forum has a list of boat salvage yards. You might have to make a few calls.

I usually get the part number from Marine Engine and search it. Many times it can be found NOS or used for a lot cheaper.

I bought an 83 25hp with a broken recoil mount as well. In my case the rear bolt had sheared off and caused the front mount to break from stress. I grabbed a used bracket on Ebay, extracted the bolt, and didn't have any more trouble with it.

You can’t epoxy that starter mount. Welding at best and that is tricky. Better to replace it.

Latest posts