'93 25HP J25RETS

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tucker99

Reaction score
New project and just got the shop manual. The first maintenance procedure is to adjust sync & link. First operation is setting cam follower pickup point. Not only was my follower not touch the the cam, the hash marks are behind the follower by about 1". Looks like the cable has to be tightened to advance the follower to line up between the 2-hash marks. It appears the cable does not rotate within the throttle cable bracket, the bracket must rotate on the cable, and the only way to do that is remove the entire bracket and rotate it on the cable, install the bracket, and recheck to be sure my follower is between the hash marks. Seems a bit backward, am I missing something? Thanks guys...

tucker99 said:
New project and just got the shop manual. The first maintenance procedure is to adjust sync & link. First operation is setting cam follower pickup point. Not only was my follower not touch the the cam, the hash marks are behind the follower by about 1". Looks like the cable has to be tightened to advance the follower to line up between the 2-hash marks. It appears the cable does not rotate within the throttle cable bracket, the bracket must rotate on the cable, and the only way to do that is remove the entire bracket and rotate it on the cable, install the bracket, and recheck to be sure my follower is between the hash marks. Seems a bit backward, am I missing something? Thanks guys...

I would be careful concerning the link-N-sink adjustment. These motors can be finicky.
I vaguely recall a tech bulletin regarding link-N-sink to remedy a lean sneeze.

Did you run this motor yet?

Thanks, just bought the boat a week ago. All boat ramps in the state are closed and could not sea trial. The PO would not let me come to his house. Ran the engine for about 30 seconds dry in a parking lot before exchanging any money. Got it home and it ran Ok on muffs. The Sync & Link seems to be the first thing to do before making adjustments.

tucker99 said:
Thanks, just bought the boat a week ago. All boat ramps in the state are closed and could not sea trial. The PO would not let me come to his house. Ran the engine for about 30 seconds dry in a parking lot before exchanging any money. Got it home and it ran Ok on muffs. The Sync & Link seems to be the first thing to do before making adjustments.

Yea, I certainly understand being locked down.
My boat is being stored on property governed by the state.
Guess who learned a valuable lesson. :cry:

edit: Add a new water pump kit to the To Do list.

Latest posts