1977 Evinrude 15 - Price?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHunter

Reaction score
Hello Guys! What would be a fair price for a good shape great running 1977 Evinrude 15? Assuming the running part is true. New plugs. I am not sure which model just yet. Will update If I can gather that info.

Thank You!

After 43 years wires get brittle. Rubber and plastics harden. I don't know what happens electrical components like coils and condensers but ones that have been sitting for years seem to fail often. carburetor floats get leaks and flood wth fuel. Needle valves and valve seats corrode.

It might be a good motor and I've bought a lot of old stuff. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think there are enough of these being sold for anyone to know the "normal" price. I personally wouldn't spend more than $200 dollars and that's mostly because I might have to just throw it out and find another motor. I can afford to loose $200 on a gamble.

Another point is that an old motor may have 'hacked up' previous repairs I'm dealing with that on mine, I've replaced just about every wear component & then some.

I held off and lost it :/ someone got it for 400. The search continues

Shy away from the 1974 through 1976 models.
Starting in 1977 the ignition changed over to the "Magflash" ignition which for the most part is or was the current ignition for that engine. No points or condensors....not that they are a bad thing.
On any engine you purchase make the owner demo it in a drum at least with the water level up or as close as possible to the normal waterline when mounted on a boat. This creates backpressure and will help uncover an engine with internal issues or a bunch or wear.
If the engine will start quickly, warm up, and idle down to a slow idle in gear then it is a well sealed engine and should be a good base engine to purchase. The OMC engine wiring harnesses seem to weather the years much better than the old Mercs did. I find good wiring harnesses well back into the 60s and 70s.

Pappy said:
Shy away from the 1974 through 1976 models.
Starting in 1977 the ignition changed over to the "Magflash" ignition which for the most part is or was the current ignition for that engine. No points or condensors....not that they are a bad thing.
On any engine you purchase make the owner demo it in a drum at least with the water level up or as close as possible to the normal waterline when mounted on a boat. This creates backpressure and will help uncover an engine with internal issues or a bunch or wear.
If the engine will start quickly, warm up, and idle down to a slow idle in gear then it is a well sealed engine and should be a good base engine to purchase. The OMC engine wiring harnesses seem to weather the years much better than the old Mercs did. I find good wiring harnesses well back into the 60s and 70s.

Thanks Pappy!

I'm keeping an eye out. Every now and then I see some that catch my attention (combination of condition and price) but hasn't been very many.

I'm leaning 9.9 up to 15, primarily Johnson or Evinrude.

There is a brand new Honda BF5 (5 HP) down the road that's decently priced... but I dont know how well that will push a 14' boat(Delcraft John)

Is there any motors to keep an eye out for above any others? I see some other brands but have mostly skimmed past them looking for Johnson/Evinrude.

Thanks again!

Latest posts