Old gas---what to do?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishrman

Reaction score
I didn't get my boat out much last year and even think I still have some gas in it from the year before. I am guessing there is about 8 or so gallons in it and the tank is about 20. I thought I should go ahead and syphon out the old gas and start fresh this year. For some reason, I can't get my syphon hose to work. Not sure why but doesn't seem to want to. Maybe the bend is to sharp or something and it is getting pinched. I was wondering if a guy could use the gas hose that comes out of the tank by taking it off the motor and then squeezing the bulb. Would the gas keep coming out if I had the hose extended below the level of the tank? I really didn't want to have to take off the sending unit. The other thought I had was to just put in some high octane gas and have it mix with the old and hope for the best! Thoughts?

Fishrman said:
I was wondering if a guy could use the gas hose that comes out of the tank by taking it off the motor and then squeezing the bulb. Would the gas keep coming out if I had the hose extended below the level of the tank?

That should work, as long as the cap is off the tank so that a vacuum doesn't build up.

Fishrman said:
The other thought I had was to just put in some high octane gas and have it mix with the old and hope for the best!

This is also a viable option. Not so sure you would need high octane to do what you want, and the engine might run a bit rough until the old stuff gets diluted down more, but it's less work to get to your goal.
If you do drain the tank, I might suggest you, (Shhh, do this at night), spray it along your fence lines to kill of the grass and weeds directly under the fence. You won't have to weed-wack for awhile.

Roger

GTS225 said:
Fishrman said:
I was wondering if a guy could use the gas hose that comes out of the tank by taking it off the motor and then squeezing the bulb. Would the gas keep coming out if I had the hose extended below the level of the tank?

That should work, as long as the cap is off the tank so that a vacuum doesn't build up.

Fishrman said:
The other thought I had was to just put in some high octane gas and have it mix with the old and hope for the best!

This is also a viable option. Not so sure you would need high octane to do what you want, and the engine might run a bit rough until the old stuff gets diluted down more, but it's less work to get to your goal.
If you do drain the tank, I might suggest you, (Shhh, do this at night), spray it along your fence lines to kill of the grass and weeds directly under the fence. You won't have to weed-wack for awhile.

Roger
Thanks! I really didn't know if the hose would work that way or not. I thought the valves inside the bulb might seal it up after squeezing and prevent it from working the way I need it to. Thanks again!

Do you have a lawnmower? I mix old gas about 50/50 with new & the old Briggs Stratton is happy with it.

i would try everything under the sun not to run that old gas through the motor ,would be concerned about fouling plugs and carburetor.
i have taken old gas and mixed it in my car gas tank to get rid of it.

watermaker said:
i would try everything under the sun not to run that old gas through the motor ,would be concerned about fouling plugs and carburetor.

This.

You most likely wont get a siphon going due to the shut off valve inside the motor side connector.

CedarRiverScooter said:
Do you have a lawnmower? I mix old gas about 50/50 with new & the old Briggs Stratton is happy with it.

Ya, have a nice John Deere with a Kawasaki in it. Thought about that too. I got to get the old gas out first though.

watermaker said:

Ya, thought about that too. Thanks.

RaisedByWolves said:
watermaker said:

This.

You most likely wont get a siphon going due to the shut off valve inside the motor side connector.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here.

I have several older big pieces of heavy equipment. I usually will slip small amounts of it in the fuel tank at a time as long as it isn't water contaminated. It never knows it.

nccatfisher said:
I have several older big pieces of heavy equipment. I usually will slip small amounts of it in the fuel tank at a time as long as it isn't water contaminated. It never knows it.

Got to get it out of the boat tank first!

I have an early bronco that sits most of the time. I put together an electric syphon. An electric fuel pump, water separator and fuel hose. I happen to have an old 12 gallon tank (from my pontoon) that I will syphon to. I think most oil changing places will take your old gas.
If you have any water in the tank, that will be at the bottom and hard to get out.
If it's only a year old, repurpose it by adding some high octane gas and use it in your lawn mower.

If you don't already have a water separator, this might be a good time to put one in you boat.

I haven’t run my boat for 12 months. There was about 8 gallons of gas in it from last year. Today, it started right up and I ran around all day. Ran just like I put fresh gas in it this morning.

Scott F said:
I haven’t run my boat for 12 months. There was about 8 gallons of gas in it from last year. Today, it started right up and I ran around all day. Ran just like I put fresh gas in it this morning.

Well, I am leaning toward putting some new high octane in it and let it mix with the old.

Fishrman said:
Scott F said:

Well, I am leaning toward putting some new high octane in it and let it mix with the old.
I can tell you that once the destibilization starts you can add all the newer higher octane fuel you want it isn't going to reverse the varnish and water in that bad fuel. Trust me on that.

nccatfisher said:
Fishrman said:
Scott F said:

I can tell you that once the destibilization starts you can add all the newer higher octane fuel you want it isn't going to reverse the varnish and water in that bad fuel. Trust me on that.

Well, you talked me out of it. I finally was able to get most of the fuel out of the tank by unhooking the hose to the motor and squeezing the pressure bulb numerous times! It just wouldn't flow out good for me but I kept at it and got most of it out. I will put in new fuel and hope for the best! Thanks@!

I run old gas in small amounts in my truck and it's just fine. The trash and water in the gas stay in the bottom of your bucket and you pour down to that layer. What's left is called weed killer around my house. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Latest posts