'56 Corsair 7.5 hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaugh

Reaction score
It's been too long since somebody posted some classic motor eye candy. I found an old Corsair husk on craigs for $50. Was missing cowling shells and needed a whole list of parts.... but it's one that I've wanted because it's unusual and apparently where Scott Atwater used up all the leftover 53 Gold Pennant parts. And it just so happens I have a bin full of those...

IMG_2514.JPG

It got the full treatment and is ready for another 65 years... OMC coil conversion... Honda impeller..... runs really strong and tight. These are excellent quality motors... engineered the year before the bail o magic disaster...

Corsair.jpg

RXAV3418.jpg

IMG_2533.JPG

IMG_2530.JPG

Pardon the eye phone sideways stupidity... if you click on it then it will display upright... don't ask me why.... nobody knows why....

sharp eyes will notice it has the long Scott Atwater wings... If anybody has some correct short wings let me know...

That is a nice motor!! Hey if you can run it and not paddle home more power to you!
Good job on the restoration

First one I have seen! Was thinking of another engine when I opened the thread.
Nice job!
And you are right! The Bail-O-Matic was a disaster. After they came out the engines got the nickname of Scooty-Hotwaters instead of Scott-Atwater.
I have the 16hp version. Actually Lesa owns it..... Have not run it yet but I am betting it will be pretty quick as the gearcase and prop are very streamlined. Believe it will be a good engine for the back of my Alumacraft Model R 12'

Thanks to all. Those motors have a special place in my heart. My father came out of WW2, a 19 year old assistant radio operator on a troop transport at Okinawa, and went to the University of MN on the GI bill to get a degree in engineering. He went to work for Scott Atwater in 1951. He was a production engineer, so I doubt he would have let me blame him for the Bailomagic, but it would have been fun to needle him. If I had only developed my appreciation for outboard lore while he was still living....

Scott motors were ahead of their time... with very original and efficient engineering designs. But like many engineering driven companies they chose the path of over engineering products with features and styling than nobody really wanted. They were trying to make an outboard that out featured the competition while Johnson and Mercury chose reliablity and cost as their primary focus.

The 1953 gold pennant designs were excellent motors, all new and very attractive motors... but they immediately scrapped them for the bailomagic motors in 54... the leftover parts and designs got used in Corsairs and Firestones for a while, but the damage was done.... Too bad...

Every time I run one of those I think of him...

Your Dad sounds like a good man!
Mine flew transport during WWII. He was flying for Pan American and they were called to duty to fly transport.....so he did! He died in 1969 unfortunately. I missed out on learning a lot from him.
My Uncle Dusty flew fighters and fighter bombers. He much preferred the latter. He made it to 96 years old. Was there with him and for him.
Uncle Billy was a foot soldier and was killed by friendly fire. Never got to meet him. Uncle Jim was too young so he helped my grandmother.
Kudos to your Dad and all that served and gave. We owe them so very much!

An appropriate holiday to remember everything that those people did. Not just the ones that died, but also those that lived. They came home and built this country and a way of life for us to inherit and carry on forever. They all got a good look over the edge and came back with a profound appreciation for what has real meaning in this life. A wife, a family, a career you can be proud of..... They came back and rebuilt the world from the brink.... At this time when it seems like there are forces at work that want to destroy all of that, it's a good time to remember them. What they gave us... and our responsibility to protect that monument they built to the human spirit.

Latest posts