Evinrude 25 no water out of exhaust.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaisedByWolves

Reaction score
I picked up another 25hp and I’m in the process of going over it to see what it needs.

Got it running and the tell tale is strong but there is little to no water coming out of the above water exhaust vents on the back of the leg.

I said little to no water as if I rev it up a bit I do get some spitting.

The tell tale is also giving hot water. Not too hot, but I don’t remember my other motors tell tale being hot at all.

Where would I look first?

T Stat?

Look for a blockage?

I would start with inspecting the water pump. It could be the water is being restricted coming in. Pinched water tube grommet maybe?

edit:
I re-read your post. Since the tell tell stream is strong, I guess your problem could be somewhere else?

Tag is gone pappy.

The only identifying marks are the saftey lanyard goes to the end of the throttle handle rather than to the tiller shaft.

Well darn! So much for my being able to tease you about it then.
This is a later model engine you have since it has the overboard indicator built in.
On these engines the mid-section was re-designed to drop the inner wall of water down.
This did two things, the first being the obvious lack of water coming out of the exhaust holes.
Secondly, by lowering the inner wall of water in the exhaust it lessened the sensitivity to exhaust back pressure a little bit. This allowed for more consistant idle quality.
You will notice at higher RPM and exhaust pressure that water will exit those holes.
As far as thermostatic flow goes, that is visible exiting the 6 holes above the cav plate on models so equipped.

Thats alright Pappy, you can get me next time. :D

This motor sat on a platform on the back of a 30' sailboat its entire life and the outside is trashed. Thick corrosion all over the clamps and it has been repainted black and everything, corrosion and all was painted over. #-o

Under the cowl it looks new and even has electric start, but it needs a new solenoid.

It does idle very nice compared to my other 6 25-35hp OMC motors.

6 motors, I may have a problem.

Pappy said:
Well darn! So much for my being able to tease you about it then.
This is a later model engine you have since it has the overboard indicator built in.
On these engines the mid-section was re-designed to drop the inner wall of water down.
This did two things, the first being the obvious lack of water coming out of the exhaust holes.
Secondly, by lowering the inner wall of water in the exhaust it lessened the sensitivity to exhaust back pressure a little bit. This allowed for more consistant idle quality.
You will notice at higher RPM and exhaust pressure that water will exit those holes.
As far as thermostatic flow goes, that is visible exiting the 6 holes above the cav plate on models so equipped.

I noticed this happening as well on my 1985 Johnson 25HP, replaced the impeller, impeller housing, thermostat and thermostat gasket.
Am I correct in understanding that not all the cooling water should be coming out of the tell-tale and exhaust holes?

Thank you in advance, the motor is new to me so I want to be sure not to hurt it

Absolutely.
The tell-tale is an overboard indicator. It just tells you that the pump is pumping. It is not an indicator of how well it is pumping.
The vast majority of water simply exits inside the outer exhaust housing where it is used to cool and quiet the exhaust.

I finally had some time to work on this motor again and found something odd happening.

After a few ten minutes or so of running I found steam coming off of the tell tale water and also the exhaust leg was steaming and too hot to touch as was the head.

Stuck thermostat?

I also was contacted by the previous owner and he found the tag for this motor laying in his shop, I just have to go over and get it. =D>

RaisedByWolves said:
I finally had some time to work on this motor again and found something odd happening.

After a few ten minutes or so of running I found steam coming off of the tell tale water and also the exhaust leg was steaming and too hot to touch as was the head.

Stuck thermostat?

I also was contacted by the previous owner and he found the tag for this motor laying in his shop, I just have to go over and get it. =D>

Well, cooling water is supposed to be hot, to an extent. Means it's doing it's job.

Get an IR thermometer and shoot the head, block, and thermostat housing. See if it is actually running hot, or where it's supposed to be. You can also check for thermostat function by measuring the difference in temperature as the motor warms up.

All of my outboards have made steam at one time or another if conditions are right, even in the summer at times.

Latest posts