fuel line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
Looking to go thru the fuel system on a 1972 johnson 20hp. Just wondering if I can replace the fuel lines under the cowl with fuel line from the auto parts store? Also there is a small line that is brittle hard...not sure what it is so not sure what it can be replaced with. I will show a picture of line in question....
Thanks
Jack
Oil return.jpg

Action said:
Looking to go thru the fuel system on a 1972 johnson 20hp. Just wondering if I can replace the fuel lines under the cowl with fuel line from the auto parts store? Also there is a small line that is brittle hard...not sure what it is so not sure what it can be replaced with. I will show a picture of line in question....
Thanks
Jack
Oil return.jpg

Yep. Some of it may be bigger in OD, so if they go through a small area you'll have to use something else.

Thanks....I ordered some fuel line.....still trying to figure out what this line is....Vacuum ? It is very hard and brittle so I would like to replace it but not sure what kind of line i need...
Jack

If you can show a photo that includes more of the motor we can probably tell you what it is. It appears to be coming from the water jacket so I'm guessing it's the hose to your tell-tale water outlet. But I need to see more of the motor to be sure.

I am guessing it is some kind of vacuum line as it goes to what appears to be the intake manifold.....I replaced the hard/brittle line with new vacuum line.
Jack
Vacuum line.jpg

RaisedByWolves said:
I use Tygon on everything.

Lasts forever and is clear so you can see inside it to troubleshoot fuel issues.

I've been looking at this stuff for a while. Doesn't seem to be a stout as regular reinforced fuel line. Only seen it used OEM on weed wackers, chain saws, etc. It comes in many sizes and colors, probably a great choice and looks cool. What kind of clamps do you use or just zip ties? Wonder if it would hold up in the sun used as fuel line from a portable tank?

The line you are looking at appears to be a re-circulation line that has been added on by someone. It can also be used as a primer line if the engine has been updated with a primer system instead of a choke system.
It is not a vacuum line as it will also see crankcase pressure as well. Tygon does not do well for long in this application.
That line is best purchased from an authorized dealer.

I was curious about this line as well.. I have 2 25hp Evinrudes with said line. I pulled off the line while the engine was running and raw fuel droplets travelled from the intake up to the side plate. I'm guessing it's some sort of drain to prevent the intake manifold from building up with raw fuel.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Pappy said:
The line you are looking at appears to be a re-circulation line that has been added on by someone. It can also be used as a primer line if the engine has been updated with a primer system instead of a choke system.
It is not a vacuum line as it will also see crankcase pressure as well. Tygon does not do well for long in this application.
That line is best purchased from an authorized dealer.

Whats the issue with tygon in this application?

Latest posts