Mercury 35Hp when removing lower unit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drock

Reaction score
Hey guys, On a 1985 Mercury 35Hp when changing the Water pump what position should the shifter be in when removing the lower unit?
I thank you

The position for the 20hp Im working on says to have it in reverse but does not say why.

However, if its similar in design do not let the shift shaft pull up out of the lower when youre taking it off or you will be taking the whole thing apart to reset the detent.

Thanks for your information I put it in reverse. The parts have been on order for nearly 2 weeks and should have tomorrow so will see how it goes.

Vice grips on the drive shaft and also the shifter shaft.

Turn the driveshaft while CAREFULLY working the shift shaft in either direction to see if you have both gears AND neutral.

Do not let the shift shaft come up or you will lose neutral.

Alright I’ll try that hopefully tomorrow when to parts come in.

All turned out fine, I was careful when removing the foot so replaced the water pump kit and carefully put back together without the shifter moving.
One thing I did was to use a short ratchet strap to hold the foot in place while lining the waterline, driveshaft and gear shaft up.
Of course this is about the simplest of repairs for most of you guy.
I thank you for the input.

Many prefer it to be in gear, as it allows you turn the prop (which turns the driveshaft when in gear) while installing the lower unit to help get the splines lined up.

Just make sure you don't mess with the gear control while the lower unit is off, it's possible to get the shift shaft off a tooth on Mercs that have the splined shaft.

Latest posts