Evinrude 1957?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvradenburg

Reaction score
My friend bought a 10hp evinrude outboard motor with a serial number of 10014 06459 I think it's a 1957 but have no idea of fuel mix, could it be 20:1 or 50:1?

24:1 every time! Easy way to measure is one 16oz bottle of oil to every 3 gallons of gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piomarine said:
24:1 every time! Easy way to measure is one 16oz bottle of oil to every 3 gallons of gas.

Will it hurt to run it at 50:1? I had a guy tell my it's 50:1 but I was thinking it was different than that because everything I found said it was that 24:1 until the later years then it was 50:1

I've got OMC '56 and 59 10HP motors on my boats, both are 24 to 1. The reason they are running 60+ years is correct lubrication.
You are going to love the engine!

Best wishes.

jvradenburg said:
Piomarine said:

Will it hurt to run it at 50:1? I had a guy tell my it's 50:1 but I was thinking it was different than that because everything I found said it was that 24:1 until the later years then it was 50:1
No, not to it blows it up which eventually it surely will at that mix.

The 1957 vintage engines are bushing motors instead of fully jeweled bearing engines like newer engines.
Also, 3-ring pistons, all of which need more lubrication than a 50:1 mix will provide. The guys who run these old engines on a light mix never realize the accelerated wear the engine goes through until it becomes harder starting and eventually pops. At that point you never will hear from those guys that they made a mistake on mix.

If you do your homework and do a good job bringing the engine back into service you will enjoy that engine a lot!
When tuned correctly at idle there is very little smoke.

Latest posts