Evinrude 100hp water leak

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbott

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 1988 Evinrude 100HP outboard that looks like it has a water leak coming out the back of the motor under the block. Has anyone seen anything like this ? Does this mean the motor is shot? It seems to run fine and water does pump out the weep hole. Not sure where to go from here, fix it, replace motor or run it 'til it dies?
The attached picture shows the water leak. The water comes out with some force.
Video.....
https://youtu.be/RRCQfgkHrPk

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 20201128_152829.jpg
    20201128_152829.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 157
rabbott said:
Hello All,
I have a 1988 Evinrude 100HP outboard that looks like it has a water leak coming out the back of the motor under the block. Has anyone seen anything like this ? Does this mean the motor is shot? It seems to run fine and water does pump out the weep hole. Not sure where to go from here, fix it, replace motor or run it 'til it dies?
The attached picture shows the water leak. The water comes out with some force. I have a video but not sure how to get it on here.

Thanks for any input!

Upload your video to youtube and post a link here.

May not need to pull the powerhead. However, the fact that this particular exhaust cover gasket is leaking indicates the engine may have been hot recently. However the lower pan can be dropped slightly by removing the block to pan fasteners. This should allow enough room to remove the exhaust cover if necessary.
Before doing anything else take a 1/4" drive set with a 7/16" wobble socket and tighten all fasteners to the proper torque of 5-7 ft/lbs. See if that cures it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take a closer look at it today. I just recently bought this boat and motor so don't have much information or history.

Update
I tightened the fasteners around the powerhead and it did slow the leak. I will be replacing the gasket before using.
Thanks for the replies and advice.

Follow up on this
Took the motor to a professional. He replaced the exhaust gasket, replace the fuel pump,and cleaned four carburetors for $475
Just FYI

Latest posts