1965 Johnson 18 HP Rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClemsonAlum

Reaction score
Here is a thread on my 1965 Johnson 18 HP I just bought. Thought I would share and update as I progress. It will go on my 1436 Polarcraft from 1960 if it goes to plan. (Duck hunter and fishing machine boat). I have a 9.5 HP on it now and it just ain't enough.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Pictures from first pick up. Cleaned out the rat's nest from under the hood.

cbfcc96749a0556d40e7bea123e92b8a.jpg
858b6d5b71a7d9d144fa1f06ee4d7a33.jpg
204fdf24a93fdf6c45ba866da756cdeb.jpg

Pappy said:
sure hope you are planning on covering it with a camo blanket rather than painting it camo!
Ha! Yeah I think I might repaint back to factory style and try and find new decals. Haven't decided yet. Definitely will not be a junk rattle can 1 minute camo paint job like you see too often.

Powerhead is a little stuck, so the plan is to soak in Deep Creep for a week first before trying to turn over for a compression test. Started to take the head off last night since the bottom plug hole looks 1/2 stripped. Broke one head bolt off in the block. Got 3 left that would not budge. Good thing I have family that will loan me taps and EZ outs. Just need a torch for the other stuck head bolts. Should have done that first. Hopefully will not have to get a Heli coil repair kit. Thank goodness for these forums and folks kind enough to share wisdom. And YouTube!

-Kurt

Weldorthemagnificent said:
That's going to be a cool motor once you get it fixed up!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Thanks, hopefully I won't hit any major issues! I hope to pretty much restore the whole thing.

-Kurt

ClemsonAlum said:
Pappy said:
sure hope you are planning on covering it with a camo blanket rather than painting it camo!
Ha! Yeah I think I might repaint back to factory style and try and find new decals. Haven't decided yet. Definitely will not be a junk rattle can 1 minute camo paint job like you see too often.

Powerhead is a little stuck, so the plan is to soak in Deep Creep for a week first before trying to turn over for a compression test. Started to take the head off last night since the bottom plug hole looks 1/2 stripped. Broke one head bolt off in the block. Got 3 left that would not budge. Good thing I have family that will loan me taps and EZ outs. Just need a torch for the other stuck head bolts. Should have done that first. Hopefully will not have to get a Heli coil repair kit. Thank goodness for these forums and folks kind enough to share wisdom. And YouTube!

-Kurt

A dremel and some small carbide burrs will be the key to getting the busted bolts out.

You might get lucky and get them out with a drill, but if their corroded badly youll have to drill first, then shell out the bolt down to the threads, then pick them out.

That will save your threads and you just need to clean the holes up with a tap and youre GTG.

Tried to link to just the post with the pertinent info but I couldnt. This one fought me to the very end, but I got it out without damaging any more threads.

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43933&p=442367#p442367

You can get Johnson side decals, black only, pretty cheap on ebay. I used those on a 20 hp I repainted last spring.

I used auto touch up paint in rattle can. I got a can-grip which helped immensely. It turned out OK.

I just picked up one of these last night. It was stuck too. Runs now. Im looking forward to tinkering with it as well as following along with your project.

CedarRiverScooter said:
You can get Johnson side decals, black only, pretty cheap on ebay. I used those on a 20 hp I repainted last spring.

I used auto touch up paint in rattle can. I got a can-grip which helped immensely. It turned out OK.
Thanks for the tip, will check those out.

-Kurt

Weldorthemagnificent said:
I just picked up one of these last night. It was stuck too. Runs now. Im looking forward to tinkering with it as well as following along with your project.

That is good! I have 3 broken bolts in the head, I have 2 drilled out that sheared at the bolt head. Trying to be patient with them, and finish up with extracting them out soon. Next will be a soak of Kroil in the cylinders. Checked the foot oil...milk...ugh. Hopefully no corrosion, and it just needs seals. For $50, I am not complaining though. Oh and Stat housing is gunked but seems ok..T stat was stuck open so that is a not so bad sign.
47a13da1e24ccec804a3d7e25499d1e9.jpg

-Kurt

Got the head off today. First attempt at drilling out broken bolts was marginal but it worked. Just have to get them out the block with the extractor set now. Pistons are not stuck! Soaking in Kroil now. The lower unit is coming off next.20210124_120131.jpg20210124_120143.jpg20210124_120858.jpg

-Kurt

ClemsonAlum said:
Got the head off today. First attempt at drilling out broken bolts was marginal but it worked. Just have to get them out the block with the extractor set now. Pistons are not stuck! Soaking in Kroil now. The lower unit is coming off next.20210124_120131.jpg20210124_120143.jpg20210124_120858.jpg

-Kurt

Depending on what extractors you have you may still be going up hill.

The square PROTO extractors are the only ones that work worth a dam.