Johnson FD-18E the $40 wreck.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldorthemagnificent

Reaction score
"18hp boat motor for sale, ran when put away. $40". I was out the door and gone, I figured it was worth that much for parts. I hardly even looked at it and the guy just set it in the back of my truck as we chatted. Almost home and 2 deer ran right into the front of my truck as I was driving at about 90kmh!
07b96685724271c16a8d3d019c7130a9.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

After I finally made it home I found the motor was seized. This morning I pulled the plugs and filled the cylinders with a 2 stroke oil/WD-40 mix.
Came home from work and tried to budge it with a 2' breaker bar on the flywheel nut.... Nope. So I took a punch and a 4lb hammer to the flywheel gear. Couple hits clockwise, couple counterclockwise until there was a bit of slack back and forth. Then the aptly named Johnson bar finished the job.
Added some more oil and spun the crank with a drill.
Put a plug in the wire and observed a nice hot spark.
Compression just under 120 per hole. So it was time to put it in the barrel. 4-5 pulls and it fired and smoked like a forest fire until all the oil burned off. But it idled not bad. Looking forward to tinkering and making this old motor serviceable again.
https://youtu.be/dqd_uf60W-A
8f0d4812b993a8bef145e36de8a3f31b.jpg

Nice find on the motor. Too bad about the truck, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Finally got around to looking at this motor again. Gave it a quick wipe down. It looks pretty good for 57 years old. Lubed the pivot points and linkages. It needs the recoil rubber thingy that plugs the hole in the cover and a sea horse emblem would be sweet. Eating leftover venison as I post this!
9804c4a2b778b4b176c0d03d08c38fc0.jpg
b34d7f56916da1259ca1d3ca6f4c5e05.jpg
4521527476940c3b50bf417984481874.jpg
4c6ee7f8e0413e4314b648a489437e04.jpg

Nice find! My FD-19D I am working on is missing the rubber starter rope grommet thing too, I saw them on ebay for a reasonable price. Waiting to get one once I make sure she will fire up. Might go looking for an electric start bracket and starter too if it pans out.

-Kurt

ClemsonAlum said:
Nice find! My FD-19D I am working on is missing the rubber starter rope grommet thing too, I saw them on ebay for a reasonable price. Waiting to get one once I make sure she will fire up. Might go looking for an electric start bracket and starter too if it pans out.

-Kurt
I wonder if they all came with the flywheel gear. Seems extraneous with no electric start. I'm kind of wondering if this one had it at one point. The little clippy things that attach the steering and throttle cables are on it and have been used.

Weldorthemagnificent said:
ClemsonAlum said:

-Kurt
I wonder if they all came with the flywheel gear. Seems extraneous with no electric start. I'm kind of wondering if this one had it at one point. The little clippy things that attach the steering and throttle cables are on it and have been used.

Hmmm, not sure if they all came with the gear or not. Mine has the gear. Also I noticed after looking at your motor, mine is missing the fuel water separator bowl. Oh well, guess it's not really needed anyways.

-Kurt

Ran this motor in a barrel a few weeks ago. It runs really good, even pumped water well. I ordered an impeller for it anyway and got around to replacing it today. The one that came out of it actually looked great but now I know what's in there. Drained the gearcase oil and it had water in it and I think I know why. After pumping it full of new lube, I was replacing the top gearcase plug and it felt like it was going to strip. I wasn't sure what to do about it, so in the interim, I daubed some rtv sealant on the threads and gently snugged the screw. Perhaps in the future I'll tap it to a larger size if I can find a larger plug. Anyway, the plan is to water test it on a boat soon.
cbef2c26691f03643a98af7e04189b9b.jpg

Great purchase, bad trip home, great venison in the freezer, nice rehab to date, and a wondrous motor.

All in all, pretty neat deal.

=D> =D> =D>

https://youtube.com/shorts/nZOzBdsu7_Q?feature=share

Ran it in the bucket to test the impeller job. Looks like it's time to put it in the lake.

https://youtu.be/v90-SoaR-_k

Sea trial today for the junkyard dog. Ran around a small local lake for about an hour. Motor ran great at speed, idle could be better so maybe it's worth a carb kit. Should be good for the 2 times a year I intend to use it on fishing trips. My boys will use it on my small boat, a 12' Harber craft. Thought it might be overkill on that boat that's rated for 15hp, but it seemed to take it well and planed easily with me, my son and daughter. Combined weight of about 590lbs plus motor and fuel tank. Got about 17mph. 20-21 with just me and my daughter and 22 by myself. A 12 footer has no business going any faster!

Check your freeboard at transom with just you in the 12 ft boat under power.

I can vaguely recall an 18hp on the back of a 13ft tin boat lifting the front half of the craft up so that I was looking at the front seat. Must have looked like an exclamation point from shore. If the lake hadn't be calm, I think I could have sunk it ( I was younger and dumber.)

Be safe.

Latest posts