Current recommendations for vintage parts sources

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

440roadrunner

Reaction score
I have a number of vintage outboards in various states of repair / disrepair. Some things I've discovered, particulary Egag, is that importers using Sierra part numbers (example) have polluted "finding" parts even if you have a part number

You guys have any "pet" suppliers, or ebay sellers, for common vintage parts, like, water pumps, lower case seals/ gaskets, carb gaskets/ kits, and decent quality coils and mag parts?

A particular gripe of mine are carb kits. There are so many junk ones it's hard to find the needle in the chaff. And speaking of needles, most of the carb kits I've bought have the INCORRECT THREAD on the needle/ seat. I'm guessing some chinaman threw in the nearest metric "seems like"

Fire away.

I will not speak for all brands of vintage engines but there is no substitute for OEM parts for carb kits, ignition components, and water pump components when we are talking about Johnson, Evinrude product.
If you do a search in here you will find many references such as yours. An example is that the only complete carb kit is an OEM. Another example you will find will reference aftermarket ignition components that will not fit, will not supply spark at hand crank speeds and will not last. Water pump components have been found to have improper fit as well.
Marineengine.com is a good place to start if for no other reason than to look up a part number and reference price.
AOMCI.org is another place to start looking for harder to find parts. They can help with a lot to get your engines back on the water.

Your answer is not what I'm asking. Things change and things have changed. Some of the suppliers 5 years ago aren't what they were or aren't there. What I really want to know is "where exactly" do you like to buy parts? People / companies you've had good luck with, including individual Egag sellers?

For most of what I am looking for, there IS NO OEM. Most of my old girls are 50's, some 60's. Newest engine I own is a 78 35 and it doesn't need anything, and about the same year 7 1/2 which I have not gotten into yet.

I am aware, and have used, "Marine Engine" and am not really dis-satisfied with them, but they are not the end-all

440roadrunner said:
Your answer is not what I'm asking. Things change and things have changed. Some of the suppliers 5 years ago aren't what they were or aren't there. What I really want to know is "where exactly" do you like to buy parts? People / companies you've had good luck with, including individual Egag sellers?

For most of what I am looking for, there IS NO OEM. Most of my old girls are 50's, some 60's. Newest engine I own is a 78 35 and it doesn't need anything, and about the same year 7 1/2 which I have not gotten into yet.

I am aware, and have used, "Marine Engine" and am not really dis-satisfied with them, but they are not the end-all

Most of the time I just search the part number on Ebay. Use various filter options to sort through the china junk.

Search Ebay, used parts are generally OK (other than fuel/ electrical/rubber). I have found parts by going to the Ebay sellers store too. Sometimes they have stuff not listed on ebay.

Well.....What you might not be aware of is that the engines from the1950's and 1960's are still very much supported by OEM parts !
So, you can go to any dealer that carries Johnson and Evinrude parts and order through them just like you used to. All ignition components, carb kits, water pump components are still very much available. A ton of gaskets and other hard parts are still available as well and will be for a long time to come.
There are a few exceptions (mainly water pumps in the old larger engines) and for those I would recommend the folks I referenced.

For old Mercury parts I've found a site: www.fergusonpoolemarine.com They're in Atlanta, GA. I also belong to a website that has very knowledgeable old Mercury people: http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/

Thanks for the answers.

Replies , though such as "ebay" are not that solid. I've found that many Chinesiums are selling so called carb kits, etc, and using OEM or Sierra numbers. I've now able to filter them by looking at the obviously poor quality parts in the photos---after having bought a couple.

Today was frustrating. I broke some ribs in August, which is the second time for these. First time I fell off my physical therapy girl's table, and the "joke" is, were weren't even having fun at the time. Anyhow, they still are not healed. (I'm 72)

Last week I bought a decent appearing 1980 7 1/2 Johnson. I thought it would be "easy." It appeared to have low compression, but this seems to be gummed rings as it has come up a little. Gearcase is clear of water, and I "figured" I'd clean the carb and go. (Compression is about 80-85psi)

Darn thing will run, but bogs sometimes with throttle application and or stops mysteriously. Only way I've been able to start it again is with a socket on a drill. I'm thinking I'll have to remove the lead plugs in the carb passages for better cleaning. I visually inspected the reeds through the carb mount/ intake, and they look OK.

(Anybody tried to melt them out with a big soldering iron?)

Latest posts