Yamaha F25 and NMEA Engine Interface?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
Anyone with any experience adding a NMEA 2000 engine interface to a newer Yamaha F25 EFI? I know the amount of data that can be displayed varies by model size. I know it will show rpms and engine hours but would be interested to know if it also shows things like engine temp, water pressure, and fuel consumption as those would all be helpful.

"Anyone with any experience adding a NMEA 2000 engine interface to a newer Yamaha F25 EFI? I know the amount of data that can be displayed varies by model size. I know it will show rpms and engine hours but would be interested to know if it also shows things like engine temp, water pressure, and fuel consumption as those would all be helpful."

I've added the system to my engine but it's a Mercury. You should be able to find out from Yamaha what engine functions are supported and can be displayed via NMEA2000 system. It varies on engine displacement and year makes a difference also. There may be systems that you can purchase and download to your phone, those are cheaper than the hard wired units.

eeshaw said:
I've added the system to my engine but it's a Mercury. You should be able to find out from Yamaha what engine functions are supported and can be displayed via NMEA2000 system. It varies on engine displacement and year makes a difference also. There may be systems that you can purchase and download to your phone, those are cheaper than the hard wired units.

Thanks. I've yet to check my owners manual to see what it says about it and I may give Yamaha a call; they have been pretty helpful in the past.

Do you happen to know anything about the apps you referred to? I am looking to upgrade my fish finder/chartplotter and all of the ones I'm considering support the NMEA diagnostics so I was leaning that way. Looks like a NMEA starter kit plus the Yamaha drop cable can be had for about $150 total if I shop around.

"Do you happen to know anything about the apps you referred to? I am looking to upgrade my fish finder/chart plotter and all of the ones I'm considering support the NMEA diagnostics so I was leaning that way. Looks like a NMEA starter kit plus the Yamaha drop cable can be had for about $150 total if I shop around."

I know that Mercury has an app that allows you to use your cell phone to take the place of a ff/display to monitor engine functions. There's also an actual hardware version (that's what I used). Your owners manual probably won't have a thing about it, this stuff is kind of an accessory. The NMEA2000 starter kit and a compatible display (FF) will be required. There are a few systems available for displays that will work so check your options. I read a lot about this stuff on BassBoatCentral.com. That's where I got a lot of the information for it.

eeshaw said:
"Do you happen to know anything about the apps you referred to? I am looking to upgrade my fish finder/chart plotter and all of the ones I'm considering support the NMEA diagnostics so I was leaning that way. Looks like a NMEA starter kit plus the Yamaha drop cable can be had for about $150 total if I shop around."

I know that Mercury has an app that allows you to use your cell phone to take the place of a ff/display to monitor engine functions. There's also an actual hardware version (that's what I used). Your owners manual probably won't have a thing about it, this stuff is kind of an accessory. The NMEA2000 starter kit and a compatible display (FF) will be required. There are a few systems available for displays that will work so check your options. I read a lot about this stuff on BassBoatCentral.com. That's where I got a lot of the information for it.

Thanks again. I checked the owners manual and you were correct - not a single mention of that.

I'm 100% upgrading from my old Gen 1 Helix to either a Mega Helix or a UHD Garmin, which both support it, so I'll prob go that route. If I can remember I will call Yamaha tomorrow and report back what diagnostics they tell me I can pull.

Per Yamaha customer service the fuel injected F25's support readouts of RPMs, Engine hours, Voltage, and fuel consumption. He said fuel consumption was iffy and needed a onboard tank tied in. At the time I was thinking in my head fuel consumption in terms of gal/hr going through the injectors as in fuel economy but I think he was talking fuel gauge on the tank. So I'm not sure if the F25 supports a gal/hr readout or not. He also said those models don't have sensors to support live engine temp, oil pressure, or water pressure. I was hoping for a temp and water pressure gauge so I'm disappointed about that.

From the reading I've done, the smaller the engine the less they show. Also, just to make you aware the fuel consumption is for the gas in the tank. There are people that use this feature to monitor their fresh water tanks, etc. using this feature on larger craft also.

The 6y8 tach might be an option for you. I have one installed with my 2017 F25SWHC.
It shows rpm (obviously), trim, voltage, cooling temp, hours (total & trip), & error codes.
Cooling pressure requires an optional sensor to be installed. I think the F25 supports it, not positive though.
The gauge also has oil pressure, the F25 doesn't support it though.

kdgrills said:
The 6y8 tach might be an option for you. I have one installed with my 2017 F25SWHC.
It shows rpm (obviously), trim, voltage, cooling temp, hours (total & trip), & error codes.
Cooling pressure requires an optional sensor to be installed. I think the F25 supports it, not positive though.
The gauge also has oil pressure, the F25 doesn't support it though.

I never considered that. How does it interface to the engine? Does it still require the NMEA backbone or is it simply 12v, ground, and a direct engine connection?

It uses the "command link" bus, I think that's just Yamaha's proprietary version of nmea.

If all you want is the tach, there is a single hub kit available:
https://www.simyamaha.com/command-link-single-engine-round-gauge-kit-6y8-0e83r-81-00/

Otherwise you need a multi-port hub in order to accommodate additional components.

It's pretty much a plug & play installation, 12v power source & plug into the command link connector.
I have a service / installation pdf somewhere. If you want me to dig it up, let me know.

You might want to chat with Andy @ SIM, or Yamaha tech support & verify it will give you the info you require.

kdgrills said:
It uses the "command link" bus, I think that's just Yamaha's proprietary version of nmea.

Good grief!
Small outboard with more processing power than an 1110/10...
I want to see the GCS that runs the "command link" bus...
(If you know what I'm referring to, your're old as dirt, and it shows)
Bonus question: What is VonFastrands number?
:)
-W

Latest posts