First Boat/Motor Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBigShooter

Reaction score
Recently purchased my first boat and it came with a 1991 Evinrude 30hp (Not Electric Start). The motor does run and seems to run quite well.

3 Questions;

1 - The flap in the carb is completely closed when the motor is not running - is this the correct resting position for this?
2 - When I twist the throttle on the handle it seems quite stiff - what can I do to improve this? I'm assuming some grease on the cables?
3 - What basic maintenance should I perform before the season starts?

For more information the motor has been sitting for almost 5 years according to the previous owner. he did mention hat the motor ran exceptionally well the last time he had it out and the motor idled fine and revved up fine when I tested the engine. The water relief released the water properly and everything else seems to be in working order. Don't want to contact a dealership or service department and end up having to spend more than I need to.

Thanks!

I would get a service manual for your motor. It will be money well spent. Congratulations on your purchase, sounds like it was a good deal.

TheBigShooter said:
Recently purchased my first boat and it came with a 1991 Evinrude 30hp (Not Electric Start). The motor does run and seems to run quite well.

3 Questions;

1 - The flap in the carb is completely closed when the motor is not running - is this the correct resting position for this?
2 - When I twist the throttle on the handle it seems quite stiff - what can I do to improve this? I'm assuming some grease on the cables?
3 - What basic maintenance should I perform before the season starts?

For more information the motor has been sitting for almost 5 years according to the previous owner. he did mention hat the motor ran exceptionally well the last time he had it out and the motor idled fine and revved up fine when I tested the engine. The water relief released the water properly and everything else seems to be in working order. Don't want to contact a dealership or service department and end up having to spend more than I need to.

Thanks!
Agreed about getting a service manual. Check out eBay.
Also, the iboats Johnson Evinrude forum is a good resource for learning about maintaining your outboard.

Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pappy will chime in but I believe that model has a black knob on the side of the tiller handle that is a friction adjustment that controls the throttle stiffness.

Latest posts