Cleaning carbs for first time, these look normal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z33tec

Reaction score
Cleaning the carbs on my johnson 70hp for the first time since I got it last year. Started having more and more trouble starting as the year went on and figured Id give it a good run through before this year begins.

Can you tell anything by looking at these? Not sure if carbs are like spark plugs in the sense that they tell you anything about how the motor is running. Maybe just normal varnish.

20210330_225719.jpg20210330_232634.jpg20210327_223548.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I can't tell by looking. Recommend taking it entirely apart & soaking & the pcs in carb cleaner. Make sure & take the plugs out & run fine wire in small holes, the plugs are not hard to replace.

Another cause of poor starting can be weak spark, so maybe check that if problem doesn't go away with carb repair.

CedarRiverScooter said:
I can't tell by looking. Recommend taking it entirely apart & soaking & the pcs in carb cleaner. Make sure & take the plugs out & run fine wire in small holes, the plugs are not hard to replace.

Another cause of poor starting can be weak spark, so maybe check that if problem doesn't go away with carb repair.

Yeah, I actually picked up a rebuild kit so I took everything apart and made sure all the jet holes were clean and open and sprayed everything out with carb cleaner. Replaced the floats too. I think I read the old ones were cork and sometimes caused issues and these new ones seem like plastic.

Have you removed the seats in the carbs? Did you pull the welch plugs on the tops of the carbs and clean the idle/off-idle calibration holes? Have you run a tag wire through the idle pick up tube?
What I see are parts from an aftermarket carb kit which is incomplete as far as cleaning and properly rebuilding a carburetor.

Pappy said:
Have you removed the seats in the carbs? Did you pull the welch plugs on the tops of the carbs and clean the idle/off-idle calibration holes? Have you run a tag wire through the idle pick up tube?
What I see are parts from an aftermarket carb kit which is incomplete as far as cleaning and properly rebuilding a carburetor.

Yeah, I didn't include everything in the picture. Just what appeared to be most discolored. I certainly don't know the proper names for everything, but I took all the jets out and ran wires through each hole after soaking them in some carb cleaner. Nothing really stood out beside (what I think is called) the emulsion tube and jet that comes through that.

YOu have some corrosion of visible metal parts. It suggests you might have some in the not visible parts.
Ethanol in fuel absorbs water. Boats sit around and can corrode metal parts in fuel.

Well....once again you did not answer my questions.
You cannot clean the idle pick up tube properly without pulling the round welch plugs above it, nor can you verify the idle/off idle calibration holes are clean and clear.
These are the items that control how well the the engine idles and accelerates....and starts. \
Also if primer equipped you need to run a wire through each primer nozzle and clear any dirt and debris.

Latest posts