1968 fastwin 18 no spark

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jredman941

Reaction score
I just bought a boat with a fastwin 18 on it that won't start, there is no spark to either plug, the kill switch has been bypassed and the 2 wires connected together, I know nothing about these motors, any help would be greatly appreciated.

jredman941 said:
I just bought a boat with a fastwin 18 on it that won't start, there is no spark to either plug, the kill switch has been bypassed and the 2 wires connecte I know nothing about these motors, any help would be greatly appreciated.
:shock:

I did that, the wires run to the points, 1 to each, I tested the coils per the videos on you tube, tested good, the points test good as do the plug wires.

How did you test coils? I got new ones & the secondary resistance was much lower than the new ones - I'm guessing the windings insulation had broken down.

I mostly tested for continuity, I had no spark at all so a weak spark was not my issue. Update to my problem : I took it all apart and cleaned all of the parts, put it back together, properly gapped the points and the coils, I now have fire, I checked the spark plugs again and found the gap to be completely closed, upon further inspection I found the pistons were making contact, the previous owner put the wrong plugs in it. I will put new in tomorrow, maybe the old girl will start. Wish me luck.

If you did a complete cleaning then you cleaned the points and solved your issue....minus the incorrect spark plugs.
You should not see any movement of the points arm at all as you pass the gauge through the contacts.

Edit - Sorry.....points should be set at .020

Let me take you back to the kill switch wires that you twisted together and explain that switch and system.
Basically, it is just a spring-loaded switch, "normally open" (normally in the "off" position) that is connected by two wires to the ignition points. The magneto ignition system on these two-cylinder OMC engines is always "on:" in order to turn the ignition "off," an electrical connection is made between the ignition points of both cylinders. This disables both cylinders and the engine stops running. One pushes the stop switch, the stop switch electrically joins the two cylinder's ignition points, and the engine stops.
So.....if you connected the two wires together again there will be zero spark.

Latest posts