List of members, Trustworthy mechanics by state

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lhoffm4

Reaction score
Hey there fellas,
I’m Lee, new to the forum. I’ve owned a 14 ft Smokercraft modified V-hull for @10 years. Sadly it’s been a couple years since it’s been in the water. She sports a 25hp Evinrude and has a 4.5hp Merc outboard.
A wild hair and some nice boating weather has me rekindling my desire to get out on the water. I’d like to go through the motors and make sure they are in good shape. I would like to be present or part of the process but have no formal training. I’d also like to NOT have to sell a child or a kidney to take them to a shop.

Does anyone live in or around the Boise area that may be willing to show an old War-dog a new trick or two?

Thx,
Lee

lhoffm4 said:
Hey there fellas,
I’m Lee, new to the forum. I’ve owned a 14 ft Smokercraft modified V-hull for @10 years. Sadly it’s been a couple years since it’s been in the water. She sports a 25hp Evinrude and has a 4.5hp Merc outboard.
A wild hair and some nice boating weather has me rekindling my desire to get out on the water. I’d like to go through the motors and make sure they are in good shape. I would like to be present or part of the process but have no formal training. I’d also like to NOT have to sell a child or a kidney to take them to a shop.

Does anyone live in or around the Boise area that may be willing to show an old War-dog a new trick or two?

Thx,
Lee
There are tons of videos on line.That’s how I learned and from forums like this.A carb. cleaning my be in order and flush any old gas out of lines. I do that by removing the fuel line from carb. and pumping primer bulb.Change gear oil. Water pump impeller would be a good idea also.Cheap enough and easy.Spark plugs are cheap and get correct ones.I own a Johnson like yours probably. Good motors. Know nothing about Mercury motors.But same applies I guess.Test them in a barrel or on the water.Avoid muffs if you can.Good luck.

Welcome Lee. Gives us the year/model number of the motors and maybe some members can help you out. If they were in good running condition before they sat I am sure it won't take much to get them purring once again.

If you are halfway handy, you can follow some YouTube videos for any issues that arise. Sounds like you haven't fired them up yet. If it were me, I would get some fresh ethanol-free fuel (you didn't mention if they were 2 or 4-stroke motors) with some SeaFoam mixed in, maybe new plugs, swap the lower unit gear oil (if you didn't already), get the motors in a barrel of water (or muffs), and see where you stand.

If they won't start or run bad, we can go from there.

just be warned some of the youtube stuff is wrong

I have caught a few of them and asked them to correct their wrongs but to my knowledge they haven't. One is a "factory defect" 25hp yamaha carb jet. LOL @ "factory defect".