9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke stopped running

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I was headed in for the day today after a 1/2 hr run from the ramp to my first fishing spot, a 10 minute to the next spot, a 10 minute run to the last spot before headed into the ramp. Turned the ignition, all was fine, then about 3 minutes the outboard stopped dead. No alarm sounds, buzzers, dings, but I’m not sure if there were supposed to be.
I turned the ignition key a few times, eventually it turned over and I was able to get back to the ramp, about a 15 minute ride, I wanted to take my time back in. I was able to get it started one more time to get the boat onto the trailer.
I’m ballparking it but I think I’m getting near the 100 hour service. I changed the plugs 2 years ago. I changed the oil not too long after than.
Is there anything I should trouble-shoot?
Thanks

I don’t know exactly what happened but my previous post got all messed up.
I have it corrected.
Just wanted to know what could have caused the outboard just to shut off a couple minutes after I started it.

battery voltage? And then check it at the starter too (check for voltage drop). Water pump failure? Restriction in the water passage inside the engine? Does it currently have oil in it and what's it look like? Does it smell burnt?

Towed one in just very this afternoon! A new engine at end of May, OB just stopped. Towed him to my boat dock, tried another tank of fuel & eventually got it running no problem. I attribute it to water in his fuel …

DaleH said:
Towed one in just very this afternoon! A new engine at end of May, OB just stopped. Towed him to my boat dock, tried another tank of fuel & eventually got it running no problem. I attribute it to water in his fuel …

That would p*ss me off! New fuel in the past 2 weeks + treatment! Anything is possible though!

Its best to keep it simple. First, check for ANY loose wires. Could be the start circuit, could be the kill circuit - who knows!! Test one thing at a time and don't get an idea in your head that " it must be this"
Its a fairly new motor so I'm guessing the issue will be small .

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Latest posts