Magnets separated from flywheel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
Anyone seen the magnets separate from inside the flywheel before and bust things up in ignition..Not sure I ever have.Would something else coming loose and hitting magnets be possible or ?????Heard someone else talk about this.

I've never experienced that, but I can imagine the havoc it would cause.
Imagine; your magnet(s) vibrate loose from the flywheel while running. If the magnets are internal to the flywheel, centrifugal force will keep them in place until the engine gets shut off. At that point, I can see one of them attempting to stick to the coil's iron core, and the next time you try to start it, it gets completely out of position and starts tearing stuff up inside the flywheel while you're pulling on the starter cord, or using the electric start.
If the magnets are externally mounted, then they'll attempt to fly out and immediately bust stuff up. I can imagine the coil would be the first casualty.

Just my thoughts.....Roger

Yes, not on outboard but on a lot of powersports stuff (bikes, atv,s side by sides etc). And a few lawn mowers. I actually owned a 1990 Kawasaki Mojave 250 that did this exact thing and tore up the stator cover, stator, pickup coil, basically everything on that side of the engine. Crankshaft too (bent).

Yes, something else can come loose. I had the flywheel key come out, stick to the magnets, and chatter around killing an ignition sensor. Heck of a mess.

Latest posts