Water intake

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yankeesnooker

Reaction score
I just got a 94 Evinrude 8 hp. I ran it in the garbage can but I can't tell if it's shifting into nuetural or reverse. I don't think I can use the muffs. Can I spray steady stream of water from the hose where the intake is below the plate to see if it's shifting. Hope I explained it right. Thanks

No don't do that. If you're running it in a barrel and you shift into gear you'll definitely know.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Weldorthemagnificent said:
No don't do that. If you're running it in a barrel and you shift into gear you'll definitely know.

Thanks. U saved me from doing damage then. I'm really rookie at this. I feel and hear the clicks except for neutral. And when I have it in barrel it's definitely running but can't tell if it reversed or still in forward gear. It's driving me nuts

Turn the motor in the barrel if you can, as you should see the water swirling in whatever direction, depending on whether you are in forward or reverse, and don’t be afraid to apply a little throttle.

If the water comes up out of the bucket and on your feet, or all over you, yes … it’s in gear :LOL2:

Here's a video of a 6hp I had fixed up. Kinda gives you an idea of what to look for. Also like mentioned, if you Rev it up in gear it should swish the water right out.
https://youtube.com/shorts/cJFlsJELClw?feature=share

If water erupts out of the barrel away from the motor, its in forward.. if it erupts out of the barrel towards the motor, its in reverse.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

DaleH said:
Turn the motor in the barrel if you can, as you should see the water swirling in whatever direction, depending on whether you are in forward or reverse, and don’t be afraid to apply a little throttle.

If the water comes up out of the bucket and on your feet, or all over you, yes … it’s in gear :LOL2:

Careful, I ruined my favorite garbage can that way.

Chewed a hole right in the side in a nanosecond. :oops:

Thanks guys for the info. Been under the weather since I 1st posted. I'll do what everyone said and post back when I have strength to get out of bed.

I broke a prop last year doing this. I was running a 40hp outboard in a 55gal drum and shifted into gear. I'm not sure why I did it, I knew better. The prop was too close the bottom of the bucket and I ended up ordering a new prop.

Latest posts