SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jims72

Reaction score
Found this motor on cragslist for fifty bucks!!!Guy said it had no spark.I brought it home and pulled he plugs and guess what it shot a nice bright blue spark out of both plugs also the guy had the plug wires crossed!!! :lol: .I then put it back together,put it im a 5 gallon bucket of water and sprayed some starting fluid with upper cylinder lube in it and she purrs like a cat!

Attachments

• 04-03-09_1800.jpg
    04-03-09_1800.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,087
  • 04-03-09_1758.jpg
    04-03-09_1758.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 1,088
What year/type/hp motor is it.

Also, do not use starting fluid on any 2 cycle engine - no oil in starting fluid means ruined engine

nice find sometimes you get lucky I purchased my lawn tractor for $50 the guy said he replaced everything to try and get it running..
I said what the heck for $50 i could give it a try.. he tried everything but the battery. still running 8 years later and hasn't needed any parts.
good luck with your great score

Wayne

jims72 said:
i FORGOT TO ASK IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE TO GET PARTS AT.

Try https://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/jsp/AsplIsmHomeFcat.jsp?reqFor=30 not sure if they have parts for that motor but that is where I get parts for my Johnson

It would be the big ugly green one at at the back of the boat which would be a 1965 elgin 7.5 hp twin cylinder.I am currently in a bit of a pickle with it right now as the gear on the rope starter broke and i took the throttle cable off so I can grease and clean everything up on it but it looks like it is going to need to be replaced.

Generally those "OLD" motors are more of a PITA, than a SCORE!!!!!!! When I was younger, I spent more time, on the phone, or rambling through someones obsolete parts bin, or ordering something online, only to find out weeks later, when the part arrived. It didn't even resemble the part I was looking for. Sometimes it's better to spend a little more money, on something newer to save on the PITA, and trouble. If you "NEED" a motor, I have one in the tinboats classifieds ( 7.5 evinrude ). Not getting much interest there. I would be glad to work something out with you on it. ( example, you pay freight and its yours). I see two other motors hanging on your gunnels, so this offer is only if you don't have a motor that runs, or only needs minor repairs. If you don't really "NEED" it, lets leave it for someone who really does!!!!! P.S. please put where you're from in your profile.

This is a legit. offer to any tinboats member, who could use this motor. I don't "NEED" it, and would sure like to see it in the hands, or on the transom, of someone who does. Please don't take this offer and abuse it.( TAKE MOTOR AND RESALE IT ). Let it go to someone that really could use it!!!!! This could be a real SCORE!!!!!! for someone, Thanks Scott

That's a very generous off for someone in need of a motor. =D>

Is that a trolling motor prop hanging on that motor? :?

Sorry to be behind the times, but Ober51 has solved his dilema, and no longer "NEEDS" this motor. Anyone else interested? The motor is in great shape for its age. I don't have the title, as I used it as a kicker on a larger boat, I no longer have. I'll try to work on the paperwork. If anyone is interested in the motor, I would still like to try to relay it through members, to save on shipping expenses for the new owner. Thanks Scott

rome8899 said:
Sorry to be behind the times, but Ober51 has solved his dilema, and no longer "NEEDS" this motor. Anyone else interested? The motor is in great shape for its age. I don't have the title, as I used it as a kicker on a larger boat, I no longer have. I'll try to work on the paperwork. If anyone is interested in the motor, I would still like to try to relay it through members, to save on shipping expenses for the new owner. Thanks Scott

Yes, I would love it; however, here is my situation. I have a 16' boat that I'm in the process of rebuilding "Rhyan Craft". I have a 13' boat that I fish out of with a 5hp gamefisher. I would love to upgrade to a bigger motor, (not to exceed 9.9 hp) but I lack the funds to do so. My build it entirely dependent on funds. That said, I could certainly put your motor to good use on my new boat. If not, I will be putting a 5hp outboard on a 16' boat until I can afford to buy something better, which won't be this year. There ya go.

Do I "NEED" it? No

Would I love to have it and put it to good use? Yes

Well there ya go yourself. Sounds like you're in "NEED" of a good motor, and I have a motor that "NEEDS" a good transom. Where in Ga. I could probably get it to the SC Ga state line @ I-85. Just need to know which direction, to get this started.

I'm near Bass Pro Shops in Lawrenceville (85 at Sugarloaf Pkwy). Be happy to meet you at your convenience.

I'll be working north of Spartanburg, the rest of this week, so that makes for a long run(state line to state line). Is sometime this weekend okay? Maybe fri. late afternoon? I'm still not sure how far from SC you are.

I think I'm a little over an hour from the state line.

Yes, I could meet you late Friday afternoon.

Latest posts