Need Kill Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ober51

Reaction score
My new to me 1980 25 HP Johnson (model #: J25RCSA) doesn't have a kill switch. I want to be safe and get one - anyone know where I can get one? Is this it: https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1980/J25RCSA%201980/SHORTING%20SWITCH/parts.html

I would rather pay less for it, but would buy it if I can't find one second hand. Maybe someone here has one they can sell?

I would put a tether kill switch,that way if you fall out it stops.They use them in race boats.I'll see what I can find.

crazymanme2 said:
I would put a tether kill switch,that way if you fall out it stops.They use them in race boats.I'll see what I can find.
Yep. Most marinas and marine dealers will have them. I think mine was something like 12 bucks, and has the capabilities of wiring both ways (either pulling the lanyard completes the circuit, shorting the motor out, or pulling the lanyard breaks the circuit) depending on which method your motor uses.

Same place:
https://www.iboats.com/Seadog_Universal_Kill_Switch/dm/cart_id.634420692--session_id.357487689--view_id.39677
Not 100% that it would work but i think it would.
Snowmoblie's use a killswitch,thats real similiar.

The link above is just the keys, not the switch. I bought mine at boaters world before they went out of buisness for $12.99. I think they are regularly $19.99. I wired mine on my 76 Johnson 25, and it was alot easier than I thought. I looked into the original push button from iboats but did not want to pay that much, so when I put the dead mans switch on I also wired up a momentary toggle with a boot so I can kill motor either by pulling the lanyard or pushing the switch.

rcgreat - was yours a Johnson Seahorse 25hp? If so Ive got the same motor. Can you go into more detail as to how you wired the kill switch...

If you have points you set the switch up to short the two coils to each other when the lanyard is pulled or when you push the switch. You do not have to have to short them to ground. Hope that helps, if not let me know.

Gary

Latest posts