1974 Johnson Electric Start Keyed Ignition to Push Button

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mudduck

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 1974 25 HP johnson electric start. The problem is I would like to change it from a keyed ignition. I would like to install a couple push buttons to fire the stater and a kill switch. I am in need of some help here, i have no idea how to do this. Anything would help. I am very handy but know nothing about wiring. Thank you for your help. [-o<

Thank You. I will check it out as soon as possible. On that page it said the wires are for early 80's until present. I am not sure if they will be the same as my 74 but i will check it out. Thanks

how many wires come out of your ign switch? shouldnt be hard figuring out wich 2 to ground out, then just wire um up to your button

Kill switch is easy just short the two coils together.

To run the starter there should be a solenoid that has four terminals two large and two small, the positive side of the batt cable runs to one large terminal, the other large cable runs to the starter. For the little wires there is a ground, a fused wire which should go to the switch and the other side of the switch should return to the solenoid. You would put a normally open switch between the fused wire and the wire going to the small terminal on the solenoid that is not a ground. I hope I made some kinda sense, maybe you could post a pic or two to make it a little easier to explain.

Gary

I think I have figured out which wires do what (thanks crazyman, i guess i should have read the whole Link) but i have another question? There is currently a black plug holding the: +, - terminals from the battery, SOL, CHOKE, 2 MAG wires that plugs into the front of the motor. If I simply hard wire the + and - from the battery to the engine (ie. remove the black plug into the front of the motor and install push button switches on the cowling for Start, Stop, Choke) will the motor still run? I am thinking that it will not have a "RUN" function like when using the keyed ignition? If i hook up the right wires to push buttons: Start (SOL, BAT [pulled from the + coming into the engine]) and Kill (Mag, Mag), leaving the solenoid alone and just using the wires that used to go to the plug junction box, will the engine continue running after i have started it? Basically, can the motor run without the plug installed in the front? Or what wires need to be connected to bypass the plug all together? Thanks, I am really new to wiring anything and am scared to turn this thing into a puff of smoke!Motor Wiring.JPG

Latest posts