Trailer selection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starflite58

Reaction score
Just looking for some input on matching a trailer to a 12 or 14 foot boat. I have a 12 foot boat now but may someday go to a 14 footer. Using a 9.9 four stroke on the boat. I am looking to buy new. I can only find new trailers in my area set up for up to 16 footers rated for 1200 lbs, it seems like the smaller trailers are not available anytime soon due to production shut downs this year.
Would the 16 foot trailer be a pain to launch with the longer tongue? I guess I could cut it down but would hate to do that to a new trailer and limit any upgrade options. I have always simply loaded the boat in the bed of my truck in the past but looking to make the process more simple. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Longer trailers are easier to back up. You won't have to back as far in to the water to launch or retrieve your boat.
If length is not an issue in regards to fitting it in the garage. The 1200 pound rating includes the weight of the trailer it's self.
Sometime in the future you may find yourself looking at 16' boats.

Yep. Nothing wrong at all with the extra length.

For the most part a lot of those little trailers are the same, they just have a longer tongue. You slide the winch post to adjust for the size of the boat.

Whatever you get make sure the bunks go on past the back of the transom, or it will crack the hull and bend in the bottom.