Bunk carpet suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Western14’

Reaction score
Howdy folks, anybody know wheres the cheapest place to get bunk carpet? Going on 2x4’s that’s 7 1/2’ each. Thanks in advance

I used left over residential carpet. It's holding up well and cheap / free.

My dad has always used old fire hose split down the middle lengthwise and nailed on with copper nails.

3” hose should cover a 2x4 nicely. Maybe stop by your local firehouse and see if they have any out of service stuff they are going to toss. I know we toss it at work from time to time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a grey indoor/outdoor remnant 12' x 22' and still have half of it.

I used the carpet adhesive the store recommended plus a bead of Permatex construction adhesive around the edges for 'insurance'.

I use Attwood 11246-1 bunk padding. Redid my trailer and needed to redo the runners too. These were precut to wrap a 2x4 nicely. Took me no time at all to have the runners looking brand new.

Butthead said:
DaleH said:
Vinyl gutters from the big box stores ... < $10 and you'll be done!
Interesting idea. How are you attaching the gutter to the board?
Simple really, the gutters I got weren't rectangular, as one edge of the bottom of the gutter was taller than the other side. So I used this to my advantage to match the 'V' of the hull, as my boat's not a flat bottom or jon boat.

See picture. I just positioned the gutter so that the lower edge of the gutter sat at the top at the INSIDE edge of the bunk, then put in outdoor/weather screws from the other side, as I wanted that higher side to stay positioned up 'high'. Works slick!

As a bonus whereas I boat in saltwaters, the carpet doesn't hold the salt, as that WILL eventually cause corrosion holes in the hull - not IF, but WHEN ...
Bunk-Gutters.jpg
NOTE: The gutter material is only screwed on from the 1-side ...

Latest posts