Trailer Project (a couple more new pictures!)

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
BaitCaster

Trailer Project (a couple more new pictures!)

Post by BaitCaster »

This weekend I bought a used "EZ Loader" trailer for my new Tracker 1542 Jon (which is on order). It's pretty rusty but the frame is solid and it appears to be a well built trailer. Both sets of bearings will need to be replaced and it needs new lights. Came with a spare tire, and transom saver as well. The guy was asking for $400 but I paid $300.

Anyway, I took most of it apart when I got it home. I plan to strip the frame and all the parts with a wire wheel and then prime and paint. Is there a better way to strip than using the wire wheel? What is the best primer/paint to use? I will probably reaplce most of the hardware as well (i.e., u-bolts, nuts etc.)

Once it is painted I am going to reassmble it and then replace the hubs and install new lighting. I figure replacing the hubs will be easier than just replacing the bearings. How do I know what kind of replacement hubs to get? I know how to measure the bolts on the hub, but what other measurements/specs do I need to make sure I get the right hubs? Anmy recommendations where to get hubs (I live in Ontario, Canada)?

The trailer came with rollers. The rollers at the back of the trailer actually tilt (the orginal boat on this trailer was an old heavy fiberglass model). I am replacing the forward rollers with bunks, but I'm wondering if it is better to keep the rear rollers or should I replace them with bunks as well (my boat is a flat bottom Jon). Does anybody have any thoughts/advice on this?

All input and advice is greatly appreciated. Pictures will follow.

Cheers,
BC
Last edited by BaitCaster on 04 May 2010, 11:20, edited 3 times in total.
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

BassBlaster

Trailer Project

Post by BassBlaster »

I am doing the same you are. I have made a ton of progress the last 2 weekends. The wire wheel is the best way I think. It is very time consuming and a mess but the end result is worth it. Other than a few pit marks where the rust was heavy, my trailer is looking brand new. I'm replacing my hubs as well. Do a search online, I have found them as cheap as 18 bucks a side to as much as 50 bucks a side. Those are complete kits (hub, bearings, races, seal, castle nut, pin, dust cover).

I would also take all those rollers off and just go with bunks. Thats what I'm doing. I'm going with two bunks on the back and a cross bunk up front. A small bunk at the nose by the winch where a roller used to be and I'm considering side bunk guide ons.

Heres the link to my trailer project...
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 60#p134260

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

Thanks for the reply BB! I saw your project. You're diong a great job. I guess I have to just use some good old fashioned elbow grease. I will go with the wire wheel to start. I think the key is to be patient. I had hoped that I wouldn't need to dsassemble the entire trailer, but I think that is the way I am going to have to go in order to do a good job on it.

I was lucky, my trailer already has the side bunk guide ones. I just need to reaplce the wood/carpet on them. I will probably get the pre-carpeted ones from BassPro. I also plan to put a cross bunk up front.

Question for you on the hubs - how do you know what size to get? I know about the number and spaciong of the bolts. however, I think I read somewhere that you need to get the measurement of the spindle as well. I am assuming my hbs are a standard size, but I don't want to waste any time getting the wrong sized hubs.

Cheers,
BC
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

BassBlaster

Trailer Project

Post by BassBlaster »

Just measure the inside of the bearing when you take the old hub off. Most of them are pretty standard 1" but there are some oddball sizes out there. I have seen spindles that step down even or bottle neck, where it would require a smaller bearing in the front of the hub, if that makes since.

Quackrstackr

Trailer Project

Post by Quackrstackr »

Pull it to someone that does sandblasting and get it done in an afternoon instead of spending weeks on it with a wire wheel. They may even let you prime it yourself in their parking lot before you pull it back home.

Just my $.02.
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

Quackrstackr wrote:Pull it to someone that does sandblasting and get it done in an afternoon instead of spending weeks on it with a wire wheel. They may even let you prime it yourself in their parking lot before you pull it back home.

Just my $.02.
Thanks, I thought of that. Got a quote for $400 form a local guy!

Quackrstackr

Trailer Project

Post by Quackrstackr »

Wow.

I guess it pays to know a few people that sandblast. I could get one done substantially cheaper than that but I also have a small unit that hooks to my air compressor so that I can do it myself. :mrgreen:
Paddle faster... I hear banjos

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

BassBlaster wrote:Just measure the inside of the bearing when you take the old hub off. Most of them are pretty standard 1" but there are some oddball sizes out there. I have seen spindles that step down even or bottle neck, where it would require a smaller bearing in the front of the hub, if that makes since.
Sounds easy enough. Thanks. I actually called a place that sells hub and they told me to bring in the old one and they would set me up with the right hub.

BassBlaster

Trailer Project

Post by BassBlaster »

Something to think about if you go the sandblasting route....my guess is they would want to do it as one unit rather than disassemble it and do each peice individually. My worst rust problems were areas where things overlapped ( behind spring hangers, fenders, bunk supports, etc.) and sandblasting isnt going to get into those areas. I wish I could have disassembled mine and had it all sandblasted but it just wasnt in the budget. I'm trying to keep my entire project in a $350 budget and that includes the trailer purchase!!

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

BassBlaster wrote:Something to think about if you go the sandblasting route....my guess is they would want to do it as one unit rather than disassemble it and do each peice individually. My worst rust problems were areas where things overlapped ( behind spring hangers, fenders, bunk supports, etc.) and sandblasting isnt going to get into those areas. I wish I could have disassembled mine and had it all sandblasted but it just wasnt in the budget. I'm trying to keep my entire project in a $350 budget and that includes the trailer purchase!!
You are right about that. I have also noticed that the worst rust is where parts are attached. I'm not going the sandblasting route - too expensive. It only cost me $10 for the wire wheel I am using!

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

OK, I now have some pictures: (these are in reverse order)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

I took the hubs off last night. Bearings in both hubs were essentially shot. On one hub the bearings all fell out when I took it off the spindle. That's fine, I knew the bearings needed replacing when I bought it and I actually intend to buy all new hub assemblies. I was dissapointed to see the condition of the spindles (see pictures). There is a lot of pitting and scoring on both spindles and it now looks like I am going to need to buy a new axle.

On another note, I soaked some of the rusty hardware in a bucket of "Evapo-Rust" and the results were impressive. Unfortunately I didn't take any "before" pictures but I can tell you these parts were heavily rusted. I will post the "after" pictures later.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

Got the trailer mostly primed and painted this weekend. I also re-carpeted the side bunk boards and made a new bottom bunk. I'm not happy with the job I did carpeting the bunks. They wil do for now but I will probably buy the carpeted bunks fom BassPro in the future.

I'm ordering the new axle hubs and springs tomorrow. It should be finished next week! I will post some pics tomorrow.

BaitCaster

Trailer Project

Post by BaitCaster »

I had a very productive weekend, although the wife was not too happy with all the time I spent in the garage. Got most of the trailer primed on Friday and Saturday, and painted on Sunday. I am heading out to Cerka Industries this afternoon to get a new axle, springs and hubs. I got the axle separated from the springs fairly easy once I figured out how they were connected. However, on closer inspection I determined I might as well replace the springs now while I have everything apart. Here are some pics from the weekend.

perchin

Trailer Project

Post by perchin »

Are there any TSC's in your area? They have pretty good prices on new axles. Also springs.