Post a Pic of your...trailer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should we have a "Post a Pic of your...trailer?" thread?

• Yes, having a "Post a Pic of your...trailer?" thread would add to the awesome funkyness which is pos

Votes: 112 97.4%
  • No, Azekologi...you're nuts! A "Post a Pic of your...trailer?" thread would be too left-field, even

Votes: 3 2.6%

• Total voters

azekologi

Reaction score
Ok, I've been wondering why we don't have a "Post a Pic of your trailer!" thread similar to the "Post a Pic of your boat! thread.

I mean, come on, we put a lot of time and effort into fixing/restoring our trailers, maybe even do some custom modifications as well. A thread dedicated to solely trailer pics (perhaps before/after, maybe just a shot of what you got...whatever) might be kinda cool. :roll:

Fig'd I'd throw up a poll to see what the general consensus is...

Ok gent's, here's a pic of the my 'new-to-me' 1970 EZ-Loader that I picked up last weekend. Since I got it I've moved the winch bracket to fit my boat, installed a new winch, rewired the plug that the last idiot cut off, added a spare tire holder, and picked up a spare wheel/tire.

As soon as my buddy get's back from his trip with the boat/trailer, I'll pull the boat off and post a 'trailer only pic' (that's what I think this thread should focus on, IMHO).

img_0224.jpg

Meanwhile, here's a pic of the trailer before I bought it:

img_0203.jpg

I/4 carpet - 3/4 starboard..... Works like a charm!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310655245.220516.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1310655245.220516.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 15,281
Dave -

Nice job on the trailer. I have to say though, I did like the catwalk on the tongue in the "before" picture...I'd bet that was a dream to walk down when you were launching/retrieving!

What did you use for guides? Those red things look like...CB antennas?

devilmutt-

Nice work on the trailer....if you were a Navy man, I'd ask if it was battleship grey. :)

All you guys who've restored/repainted/etc. your trailers are getting me itchin' to start workin' on mine.

I went the easy route and bought a new trailer. Here it is the day I bought it.

D7K_0648.jpg

Now with the boat loaded and everything adjusted correctly.

D7K_1197.jpg

chavist93 said:
I went the easy route and bought a new trailer.

Now here's something I've been wondering about... :?:

I've tossed around the new trailer idea myself, but the problem I always ran into was price :shock:. Mind you I'm in metro Phoenix, AZ, but you can't touch a NEW, decent trailer (read: NOT Harbor Freight) for a 12'-14' boat for less than $950. We've got a lot of trailer places in the industrial areas of town, but they specialize in utility, not boat trailers. You're kinda limited to BPS ($$), Cabela's ($$), Harbor Freight ($, but junk quality), or the marine-specialty shops ($$$$ :shock:).

The nice thing is our dry, hot, desert climate preserves everything metal (little rain, no snow, mostly dry = no rust 8)). The downside is that the resulting secondary market usually keeps things prices pretty high even on older stuff :|. Most USED trailers for our tinnys would be in the $400-$700 range, give-or-take depending on numerous factors. I've seen, or missed out on #-o, some good-looking CraigsList deals in the $250-$350 price range.

Chavis, I noticed that your trailer has decals from "Tom Hughes Marine"...if you don't mind me asking, what's something like that go for in your neck of the woods? Is Tom Hughes a marine specialty store? Just curious. :mrgreen:

azekologi, I had a little sticker shock as well when I started pricing them. I bought my boat used and was not happy with the trailer it came with, mostly because it was too short. I toyed with the idea of extending the tounge and fixing the trailer up. At the time I was working during the day and taking welding classes at night so I just didnt have time to work on it.

This trailer was around $900, but I don't regret it at all just for peace of mind on long trips. The trailer brand is Wesco which are built about 30 minutes from my house. Unfortunately you still have to purchase through a dealer, however I was able to go to there shop and pick out the exact frame and options that I wanted. There were cheaper trailer brands, but they were bolt together frames. This one is all welded.

Tom Hughes is a local outboard repair/parts shop. They do not actually stock boats and trailers, but they are a dealer so they can order what you want and were cheaper than anyone else. I got quotes from other dealers for as much as $1200 for the same trailer.

basstender10.6 said:
I have a 2004 load rite traiker just like the last one posted it galvinized and costs around $1400 :shock:

A load rite of the same size is around $800 here, but I did not like the bolt together frame.

Sure is different looking. Maybe the trailer belongs to another boat, a sailboat possibly that has one of those long center board thingy's (keelboard?). The boat sitting on the trailer might just borrowing the trailer for the moment.

The lights on the back are Guide on LED poles meant for boat trailers. I picked them up
on clearance thru work for 10$ a pair :) The cat walk had to go the boat is mainly a duck boat
and waders will be on for loading and unloading lol and it WEIGHED like 100#

dave shady said:
The lights on the back are Guide on LED poles meant for boat trailers. I picked them up
on clearance thru work for 10$ a pair :) The cat walk had to go the boat is mainly a duck boat
and waders will be on for loading and unloading lol and it WEIGHED like 100#

Man, what an awesome deal...$10 for good-looking guide-ons! =D> Do they just have LEDs @ the very top, or is the whole pole lighted with multiple LEDs, either way, very cool.

Kinda reminds me of the Firestick CB Antenna's:

https://www.firestik.com/CatalogFrame.htm

Actually, kinda reminds me of something else I saw once, and now that I think about it...whatever it was would make a great guide on...maybe. :?:

One night I saw this crazy-big, lifted F350 driving down the street (whole package: big tires, huge lift, blah, blah, blah). The odd thing was it had these two GIANT lighted cylindrical tubes coming up about 6-7 feet from each (rear) corner the bed. The best way to describe them is that they looked like two huge Star Wars light sabers standing vertically in the bed. :shock: I'm assuming they were lighted CB antennas, but never got a good look to be be sure.

Truthfully, those lighted things were awesome...although quite distracting as a) they were 7 feet tall already fixed to a huge truck b) lighted and BRIGHT, BRIGHT, BRIGHT!, c) something you don't really ever see on a vehicle in the city.

I didn't think of it at the time, but they would make great boat guide-ons, especially at night, you just want to have a way to turn those bright lights off so no one rear-ends you while mesmerized by your luminescence. :shock:

***Oh, and if that catwalk weighted 100lbs, I'd be looking to pull it off my trailer too!

Latest posts