Newbie Trailer Hub Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobcat_fisherman

Reaction score
I don't know diddly about trailer bearings. I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with some information.

I have a 14.5 ft Semi V Hull boat that is on a homemade trailer. I purchased the trailer with the boat. I did not make it.

Here are a few pictures I took today of the bearings. Are these bearing buddies?

On the right side of the trailer the zerk fitting was found when I scrapped all of the grease out. I tried screwing it back in but seems like its missing the part it screws into.

Before cleaning it up.
2012-03-18_12-06-30_748.jpg

Fitting that was loose in the grease.
2012-03-18_12-19-11_473.jpg

After scraping out all of the old grease.
2012-03-18_12-19-19_627.jpg

Left side bearing. I didn't touch it yet.
2012-03-18_12-21-20_123.jpg

Left side bearing again.
2012-03-18_12-21-26_445.jpg

bobcat_fisherman said:
I don't know diddly about trailer bearings. I'm hoping someone on here can help me out with some information.

I have a 14.5 ft Semi V Hull boat that is on a homemade trailer. I purchased the trailer with the boat. I did not make it.

Here are a few pictures I took today of the bearings. Are these bearing buddies?

On the right side of the trailer the zerk fitting was found when I scrapped all of the grease out. I tried screwing it back in but seems like its missing the part it screws into.

Yes, those look like bearing buddies - you can get replacements at Walmart or any marine store, auto parts store, etc. They come in different sizes, so you may want to take one of the old ones with you. The only dimension to worry about is where it slides into the hub.

I would strongly suggest you disassemble and inspect the bearings, seals, etc. Plan on replacing seals, bearings and bearing buddies - really not that expensive. If you don't know how, maybe you have a buddy that can help/show you. Google and YouTube can help, but it is better to learn from someone in person. Pretty simple thing to do and can save lots of trouble and $$$$ down the road.

sf

bobcat_fisherman said:
Do the bearing buddies unscrew? Or how do I remove them?

Copied and pasted from: https://www.bearingbuddy.com/faqs.htm

6. How do I remove Bearing Buddy®? Lay a block of wood against the side of the Bearing Buddy® and strike the wood with a hammer. Place the wood on the opposite side and hit again. Continue this procedure until you "walk" the Bearing Buddy® out of the hub. Don't disassemble the Bearing Buddy® to attempt to remove it.

Since you are going to replace yours you can skip the board - tap it sideways with a hammer. Then tap it sideways the other direction. Repeat until it falls off.

sf

Latest posts