Re bunking my trailer, have some questions

Trailer related issues and discussion goes here.
tjbev13

Post by tjbev13 »

I have a 1542MV monark and need to redo the bunks. As they are now they are 2x4s in the upright position and only mounted on 1 frame cross member. I am going to get a extra set of brackets and extend them longer toward the tongue of the trailer. my question is should i mount the new 2x4s flat vs upright? Also i believe i could jack the boat up by the transom in my garage and replace these with no issue, am i wrong? thanks!!
Attachments
IMG_3881.JPG

Y_J

Post by Y_J »

Personally I prefer the flat. Twice the support on the bottom. LOL as if I really need it on a 1236 tin can. But I think it looks cleaner also.
My Fisher-Marine 1648 Build Thread https://www.forum.tinboats.net/viewtopi ... 96#p434296

My Sears 1236 Build Thread: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=34781

Happy Boating & Fishing,
YJ

---
1979 Fisher-Marine 1648
Minn Kota 35 lb thrust Bow Mount TM
Mercury 20 HP OB
1974 Ted Williams 4.5 HP OB

lckstckn2smknbrls

Post by lckstckn2smknbrls »

Don't forget pressure treated wood is a no no.
1971 14' Ward's Sea King Jon Boat / 1983 Mariner 25HP

JMichael

Post by JMichael »

I've done the same mod to my trailer and my brothers trailer. I decided to lay the 2x4's flat because it spreads the load over a wider area and is less likely to put a strain the hull or put dents in it during transport. I also extended the ones on mine to be closer to the length of the boat.

TNtroller

Post by TNtroller »

I would lay 'em flat, no PT wood, put a couple coats of paint on 'em, then the carpet. If you measure the new bunks for length, drill the holes, etc., basically pre-build 'em, then just take the boat to the lake, launch it, tie it off to the dock, replace the bunks, then go fish. I've done it this way a couple times, believe it to be much easier than jacking a boat up off the trailer to replace the bunks. One time the wife went with me and she rode around in the cove in the boat while I replaced the bunks in 15-20 minutes.

Attwanl

Post by Attwanl »

I rebunked mine last winter, I put them flat, plus put an extra one down the middle. I did it for more support, I put all my gear in the boat. But it worked out great for a walking plank when loading or unloading the boat.
12/36 flat bottom w/9.8 nissan 4-stroke

tjbev13

Post by tjbev13 »

Nice! I will go the flat route! The trailer came with a "walking plank already on it just not secured very well I might carpet that while I'm at it and reattach it!

New River Rat

Post by New River Rat »

TNtroller wrote:I would lay 'em flat, no PT wood, put a couple coats of paint on 'em, then the carpet. If you measure the new bunks for length, drill the holes, etc., basically pre-build 'em, then just take the boat to the lake, launch it, tie it off to the dock, replace the bunks, then go fish. I've done it this way a couple times, believe it to be much easier than jacking a boat up off the trailer to replace the bunks. One time the wife went with me and she rode around in the cove in the boat while I replaced the bunks in 15-20 minutes.

This is the way to go! Works great.
My Tinny is a tool, a means to an end, if you will.

New River Smallies

Case Plastics Pro Staff

Clifford_Akov

Post by Clifford_Akov »

Has anyone tried plastic/pvc 2x4 bunks?
Like these? seem reasonably priced. https://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/gpage.html

Thanks
"Yola Mia", 1994 Alumacraft V-14, 25 Honda 4-stroke outboard

SquiggyFreud

Post by SquiggyFreud »

Just curious why all of you lay your bunk boards flat as opposed to on edge? Seems like the wood is much stronger on edge just less surface area.

ggoldy

Post by ggoldy »

SquiggyFreud wrote:Just curious why all of you lay your bunk boards flat as opposed to on edge? Seems like the wood is much stronger on edge just less surface area.
As aluminium is rather soft, more surface area is better. Let the bunks extend about 1" past the transom to avoid 'cupping' in front of the transom from bouncing while trailered on bumpy roads.
Gary
Mary Esther, Florida
1436 jon
1954 and 55 Corsair 10 horse
Clinton 5 horse(haven't determined age yet)
1952 Johnson 5 horse
1940 Evinrude Elto 1.8 horse

SaltyGhost

Post by SaltyGhost »

I'd say flat for the same reasons as everyone else, plus you get your boat about 1-1/2" closer to the water when launching in shallow water.
Everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Be Kind, Always.