Hub and Bearing replacement?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff925

Reaction score
I have a 1985 ez loader trailer that came with the boat if got last year (14 foot gregor). The Trailer is in decent shape, i checked the bearings when i got it to make sure I did not hear any grinding and its been fine since. The bearing buddy cap was missing on both side when i got it so grease had splashed out around rim. I got new caps but thats all I have done. Now I have some time now and want to do a more thorough check. i am contemplating just replacing the hubs vs just replacing the bearings as hubs are not that expensive and come with the bearings installed. Is that simpler than just replacing the bearings?

i have down a bearing replacement once, went ok but not really anxious to do another one.

any other words of cautions? things to look for?

thanks, jeff

If there is no grinding or unusual resistance when you turn the wheel I think the bearings should be OK but I can't bee 100% sure without seeing it myself. If you take the hub off and clean the bearings and races look for any pitting, flat spots, grooves, wear marks or scratches on the bearings and the races. If there is any of these indicators replace the bearings and races or bearings/hubs and races if you wish. If I replaced a hub I would make sure the races are seated in the hub before installing it on the axle. I would not trust it was done right from the manufacture but that is my quirk. After installing a new bearing, preload the bearings(tighten and then back off the spindle nut) before using the trailer. the wheel should turn freely but not too freely. It should not be too loose or too tight or it will hurt the new bearings.

Definitely take the hub off, Tap seal out, inspect both inner & outer bearings. If you replace the bearings, replace the races too. Its not hard, just need to get a long punch to catch the inside edge & tap evenly around the circle. No need to replace the entire hub unless it is damaged somehow (pretty rare).

Bearing buddies help the bearing by keeping the water out - positive pressure during the launching cool down.

Good luck

Even if you buy new hubs I would put new bearings , races and seals in the old hubs to have spares in case you need to change hubs on the side of the road. Learning a new skill is never a bad thing.

Latest posts