set up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action

Reaction score
so if the trailer is set up right should the bunks be touching the bottom the full length of the bunks ? rollers down the center....I have 4 for a 14' aluminum....should all be touching at rest? seems it would ride better if so.....But it is all new to me.....
Thanks
Jack

I would adjust it to have full contact to the best of your ability. But most important is for the bunks to have good weight on them under the transom. Also have good weight on a keel roller towards bow. Then you have 3 point loading & it won't rock.

I cinch up the winch pretty tight so that carries some weight too.

The way I look at it, the trailer & boat form a single structure when it is tied down tight.

I removed the rollers from my trailer and went to bunks because the rollers were putting dents in the bottom of the hull. Distributing the weight across the full length of the bunks is best. Point loads are bad when you're bouncing down the highway.

CedarRiverScooter said:
I would adjust it to have full contact to the best of your ability. But most important is for the bunks to have good weight on them under the transom. Also have good weight on a keel roller towards bow. Then you have 3 point loading & it won't rock.

I cinch up the winch pretty tight so that carries some weight too.

The way I look at it, the trailer & boat form a single structure when it is tied down tight.

"Then you have 3 point loading"

X2. A three legged stool will always be stable no matter if the legs are uneven. IMO the other rollers along the keel should be used to load the boat but not touching when it is fully on the trailer.

A trick I saw a guy at a dealer use was to drop the rollers and get the bunks even for full contact, equal both sides. Then they lifted the boat and put paint sticks on top of each end of each bunk and in-between, if long bunks.

Then they brought the rollers up until all were just touching the keel & tightened them down. They lifted the hull and removed the paint sticks, which they said “pre-loaded” the rollers without putting too much pressure on them. They are one of, if not the best dealer service shop around here, if that matters.

My trailer had rollers when I got the boat/trailer and I converted it to bunks. 2 things, the boat sat higher on the rollers so you had to get the trailer farther into the water to load/unload, and with the bunks lined up between the strakes, the boat actually loads a lot easier and straighter. I added cut in half vinyl downspouts on the bunks instead of carpet and the boat slides up really easy.

Attachments

• trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 267
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 267
I've seen trailers with four bunks.
Two regular bunks and two short bunks to guide the bow.I was thinking of trying it.

Latest posts