Tilt trailer or folding tongue

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglasdzaster

Reaction score
I bought a used flat bottom and I’ve been catching up the maintenance on it. Now I’m starting on the trailer. Here’s a picture of the tongue. Is this a tilt or a folding tongue.E5ECBB20-943B-44DA-BE91-5348C0E283C5.jpeg

Well It isn't a latch for a tilt like I have ever seen but for sure it isn't a folding tongue.

I see what I think is a hinge back by the reflector, just in front of it. I think you loosen the screw, slide the bracket forward and it will tilt. I had a car caddy that worked like that.

It’s a square collar around the tung with an L shaped bolt underneath. Loosen the bolt and the collar slides forward. This will allow the trailer to pivot where the bolt behind the reflector is. I believe the 2 points sticking up are for a safety chain that is missing. I’ve been told that some trailers are set up to fold the tung for storing in an upright position and not meant to be used as a tilt. Just trying to figure out which one this is. I’ll get more pictures and post them. I really appreciate all of the comments and grateful for any help I get.

I also think it is a tilt tongue.

Today's common folding tongues (for storage) fold to one side as opposed to folding up. I guess that makes sense if something fails with the hinge.

Douglasdzaster said:
It’s a square collar around the tung with an L shaped bolt underneath. Loosen the bolt and the collar slides forward. This will allow the trailer to pivot where the bolt behind the reflector is. I believe the 2 points sticking up are for a safety chain that is missing. I’ve been told that some trailers are set up to fold the tung for storing in an upright position and not meant to be used as a tilt. Just trying to figure out which one this is. I’ll get more pictures and post them. I really appreciate all of the comments and grateful for any help I get.

I've heard of that with small utility trailers, but not boat trailers.

That is almost surely a tilt mechanism, they used to be pretty common before concrete ramps were not common place. They pretty much let you dump the boat right in without getting the trailer tires wet.

Latest posts