Trouble shoot livewell aerator pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishfried

Reaction score
Maiden voyage today. Only thing that isn’t working is the aerator pump on the transom. It turns on and spins the impeller but doesn’t push water to the livewell. There are no kinks, brand new line and pump. I have another pump just like it that works fine, it’s on the livewell for recirculating. I blew air through the line and there are no obstructions. Anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Silly question: Is it wired backwards? I don't think it matters, but depending on the shape of the impleller, it might. If not, look for high and low spots in the tubing. I've had trouble if there are significant changes in tubing height along the run.

Good luck!

I've had sump pumps do that, and it turned out to be "air locked". If you confirm that it is wired correctly, try pouring water down the discharge tube to prime it.

Roger

Due to where it discharges, pouring water down won’t work. I can though, reverse the wires to see if that works. I was not aware that a pump impellers can run in reverse if the wires are switched. Thank you for your ideas.

Did you figure out the problem? I mean did this pump problem repeat once again? Cause I think I've got the same one with my pond aerator. I know that it is different from that one on your boat, but the situation is alike to that one you described.

I have found the air lock problem is usually a low dip in the hose. There shouldn't be any low spots that will hold water like a plumbing trap would.

Latest posts