CB radio

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RMull53

Reaction score
so I am quite new to the marine life and have a question about mounting a scanner radio in my 14' jon boat. I used to be a volunteer EMT so I had a small radio in my personal vehicle that was wired to the electrical system in my car. its not a full on CB radio with mic that I can call out on, but since its just sitting there and I have no other use for it, I figured maybe mount it in the boat this way I can program marine frequency channels and what not. maybe in the future ill add an actual radio to make calls from. anyways my question to you guys, what is the best way to go about mounting/wiring this, or is it actually a waste of time....its quite small so I wont take up my space, I plan on adding a little console anyways for a few things.... let me know....thanks in advance.

My question is what would you use it for? it will draw from your battery (not much but still a draw) and im not sure how much traffic you will pick up on the scanner marine channel? maybe try hooking it up to a cig lighter and program it and have it in you car for a while to see if you pick anything up to see if you hear anything

It's your boat, add whatever you'd like to it. That is the beauty of this site and the concept behind it.

Without knowing where you live and what water you'll be enjoying, know that salt water is nasty to most things not built specifically to be on a boat. CB's, Scanners, and Ham radios can all pay a penance for living on an brine based vessel. If you are splashing fresh water, just keep things mostly dry.

The good news is a decent handheld marine radio can be had for less than $100. They are set up to scan emergency and hailing channels. The bad news is, unless you are someplace with lots of commercial and recreational boat traffic, it's usually nothing but radio checks.

The good news for all of us is we might be able to contact a trained first responder while afloat.

bgeddes said:
It's your boat, add whatever you'd like to it. That is the beauty of this site and the concept behind it.
The good news is a decent handheld marine radio can be had for less than $100. They are set up to scan emergency and hailing channels.
The good news for all of us is we might be able to contact a trained first responder while afloat.
Welcome to Tin Boats Mr Mull.
+2, Electronics & CB radios don't handle the marine environment very well unless specifically designed for it.
But the guys at Cobra (defacto standard for CB radios) haven't been idle either. They have a hand held that scans, floats, and has Bluetooth for around $150. https://www.cobra.com/products/handheld/mr-hh500-flt-bt . As BGeddes pointed out, there are a lot of options in Marine radios these days. Jerry :)

Latest posts