Fish Finder Help / Opinion

Trolling motors, Fish Finders, GPS, Batteries, anything Electrical, post it here.
jl008018

Post by jl008018 »

Looking to add a fish finder and I am a complete newbie when it comes to this part of fishing.

I use the boat to troll with the tiller motor and sitting at the front casting and moving around with the troller.

In a perfect world and budget having a fish finder in the front and back would be great. Starting to confuse myself a bit in deciding the location it should be mounted. Thoughts?

Also, do they make fish finders that enable you to daisy chain a second screen? That would be a possible way to have the ability to leverage it in the back and font.

Thanks!!!

jethro
Donor

Post by jethro »

They do make fish finders with network capability (being able to use two head units on one transducer), but once you get to that level you can easily buy two, three or sometimes even 5 individual fish finders for less money than the network capable head units. I am only familiar with Humminbird myself and you'll be spending $1200 minimum on the Onyx head units that are network capable.
I fish, therefore, I am.

1993 Starcraft SF 14 DLX side console with 25 hp Mercury 2 stroke
2003 Sylvan 2100 Profish walkthrough with 150 Mercury Saltwater and 6hp Mecury 4 stroke kicker

bcbouy

Post by bcbouy »

having no idea how your boat is set up.mine can be moved to any seat base on the boat.i have 7 seat mounts.
Attachments
2013-06-05_15-44-38_798_Pitt Meadows.jpg
if all else fails....stop using all else

Wallijig

Post by Wallijig »

Big determining factor is your budget.
Lowrance HDS gen3 units you can buy one unit, control and view it from ipad. A smart phone you can view it but not control it.
Lowrance Prostaff Team Member

jl008018

Post by jl008018 »

Wound up going with the RayMarine Dragonfly 7 Pro. Can connect the mobile phone to it via their app and provides me with a second monitor when trolling with the outboard.

onthewater102

Post by onthewater102 »

I've heard all good things about the dragonfly.
I have a marriage license and a fishing license, but I only carry one in my wallet.

For Sale - Custom Hand Tied Jigs, Bladed Jigs,Custom Rods

2002 Alumacraft 1436LT w/ 1984 Mariner Tiller Converted to Remote & 55# Minn Kota Terrova 12v (removable)

1985 Bass Tracker III - Restoration w/ 1988 Mercury 60hp

shockr

Post by shockr »

Look @ the GARMIN ECHOMAP CHIRP units. I like GARMIN because their products are very user friendly, are very fast & pack a lot of features that you will appreciate as your grow as a fisherman. Get the biggest possible screen you can afford, this you will really appreciate down the road. I have an SV93 on order to replace my old ECHOMAP 160 & look forward to getting that in the near future.
There is no such thing as GARMIN offering any discounts or rebates on their products because they do not need to-they sell themselves after you try one.

I mount my FF mid-ship on a RAM vertically mounted arm so I can rotate to face front or back. Check around online for these from computer accessory sellers-you can buy the same exact mount for 1/2 the price as from a fishing/boating supplier.

Good luck!

Fishfreek

Post by Fishfreek »

jl008018 wrote:Wound up going with the RayMarine Dragonfly 7 Pro. Can connect the mobile phone to it via their app and provides me with a second monitor when trolling with the outboard.

I love my Dragonfly pro 5 and the added ability to use my phone or tablet in a ram mount on the front of the boat is a HUGE bonus.
Fish fear me
Women love me
But I sit here all alone eating peanut butter sandwiches

jl008018

Post by jl008018 »

I echo your comment about the Ram mount. It adds enough height to mount it to the bow and use it while in the pedestal seat.

Just need to get it into the water now to play around with it.

SumDumGuy

Post by SumDumGuy »

Dragonfly pro fan, too.

safetyfast

Post by safetyfast »

I'm in the same boat. (Pun intended). The old black and white basis lowrance that was on my boat when I got it has bit the dust. I hadn't considered Raymarine until I saw this thread. I'm considered seeing a Dragonfly Pro 4 with the Navionics package. Found it on sale for about $250, which is my comfort zone price wise. The ability to use my phone as a separate display would be nice. Is there another unit I should consider in that price range?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edwonbass

Post by edwonbass »

I have a Dragonfly 5 Pro that will get mounted at the helm. I have not used it yet because I am restoring my boat. I am probably going to put a Garmin Striker 5 on the TM at the bow.
1994 Spectrum Dominator16 Mercury 25HP 2 stroke Minn kota Edge 45 and Minn Kota Endura Max 55

jl008018

Post by jl008018 »

The Dragonfly 7 Pro was just what was needed to get by with one device. The wireless feature works great with my Samsung phone when running the motor and trolling or scouting around.

Very easy to use and setup.