Minkota Edge 45 wiring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thomasr

Reaction score
Greetings all, long time reader, first time poster.
What an awesome site! I have a 1442 tinny and I'm outfitting it to my liking. Not my first tinny, but different from my others and I've already learned a lot from you folks. That said, I have a question. I have the Minkota Edge 45 bow mount TM. For convenience I bought the Attwood Trolling motor connector kit. It comes wired with 10 awg. I went to the Minkota sight and they recommended I use a minimum of 6 awg for a 15' run for the TM with a max draw of 42 amps. Realistically the actual run will probably be closer to 12" (from battery to TM connector) but I'd rather be safe than sorry. Is the 10 awg on the Attwood connector going to be an issue? Will it be the proverbial weak link? It's about 6" long on either side. This didn't hit me till after I kind of committed to the Attwood connector...drilled hole in boat. While not impossible to back up and regroup how big of an issue is all this. Thanks in advance.

No issue. Just use a quality crimp connector that will handle both sizes of wire when making the connections. Don't forget to install the correct size breaker close to the battery on the positive side of the wiring.

TNtroller said:
No issue. Just use a quality crimp connector that will handle both sizes of wire when making the connections. Don't forget to install the correct size breaker close to the battery on the positive side of the wiring.

Many thanks.

The problem will be finding a reliable way to connect 10 gauge to 6 gauge...You may need some sort of buss bar.

Latest posts