Master Switch

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnySuperCobra

Reaction score
Need some advice with wiring a 12v system. I'll be powering a trolling motor, Fish finder, bilge pump and navigation lights. I want to wire a master switch to the battery then run power to my trolling motor on one set of wires. Then I'll run power to a fuse block/switch panel for everything else on another set of wires. My question is this: I want to protect the trolling motor with a 50 amp fuse. Where should I wire the fuse, before or after the master switch? I attached a picture of the wiring diagram I'm thinking of using.

Attachments

• boat wiring.png
    boat wiring.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 335
Assuming your total amp draw isn't more than 50A, I would put the 50A fuse before the main switch.

There is a USCG code for this, I think the fuse is supposed to be within a foot or so to battery, with the exception of starting cables.

The easiest way is a Terminal Mount Fuse Block. Screws right to the battery terminal and has it's own terminal for all of your cables to connect to. You can choose different fuses depending on the current draw of your equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0019ZBTV4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_JsNcEb8WWZK3W

Latest posts