fish finder battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1960 yellowboat

Reaction score
Just a thought/
As most fish finders run off 12 volts, where to put the battery can be a challenge, especially if it's a lead/acid type.
Why not just use a 12 volt battery pack originally made for a cordless drill?
Either ni cad or Li Ion.
They seem to be infinately rechargeable, don't leak, and can be mounted any where and any way.
What's the concensus?

Might be some squirley electrical connections to the contacts on one of those batteries, short of cannibalizing a drill or other tool/component for the receiver side connections I don't see how you could do it cleanly or what you'd gain. Those batteries don't have the amp-hour capacity to run a fish finder all day, so other than reusing what you've got already where's the point?

A sealed lead acid battery made for a computer backup works perfectly, is easy to terminate connections on and has sufficient energy capacity to run a fish finder all day.

Interesting. Seems like you would have to crack open the case and expose the actual battery pack to make the connections. I don't know about capacity of Li Ion batts for a FF. Seems like they last a long time in my drill, but just about everyone is going to know more about this than I do.

Looking quickly I see 12v drill batteries with amp/hour ratings of 3hrs +/-...I have a 10 A/H battery for my humminbird 898 unit and it will last a day of fishing, the 6 A/H battery I tried before it would not as the voltage drops over time to the point it won't work even though the battery isn't anywhere near discharged. A 3 A/H wouldn't power anything for very long.

The down side of a drill battery is finding a compatible socket to plug into. If they made the fish finder with that socket, it would work great. Could eliminate one set of wires completely. A truly portable fish finder - just hang the transducer off the side of the boat. That is a good idea.

If you want light weight and portable, try something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Powersonic-Sealed-Rechargeable-Battery-Security/dp/B007Z462S8

Read the specs on the fish finder to see how many amps it uses. Multiply that by the hours you want to use it. Amps x Hours = Amp Hours or AH or Ah. Batteries will list their Ah.

Latest posts