Mounting 2" round tachometer

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmk0002

Reaction score
I bought this 2" tachometer on ebay a couple weeks back. It is just like the standard 3" ones installed on the steering console on most any boat except that it is not adjustable and is a fixed 6 pole tach. I bought it to pair with my 30hp Yamaha tiller in my open concept 1648. My thought was that a 2" tach would be easier to mount somewhere in the rear of the boat than a 3" one. So far though, I haven't had much luck thinking of a good way to go about it. I was initially going to take a 2" rubber plumbing coupler to hold it and then mount to a pvc 45 elbow and short piece of pvc and then mount possibly on the transom. But the problem is that 2" female plumbing fittings are really much larger as they have to accept the OD of typical 2" pipe. I ordered a cheap cup mount off Amazon which is designed for 2" automobile gauges, and while it's a closer fit, its still too big and has no way to snug it down. I think the cup is the way to go I just need to finsd one that fits a little better and has some type of way to tighten it. I was hoping someone here may have a suggestion.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

51aXKyFj5UL._SL1000_.jpg

[strike]Huh, will it fit inside a 2" ABS Sched 40 pipe? Seems like it should. If yes, then you can use that for a tube to mount it in and then use a 45 deg fitting if you want it at an angle. Typically you can buy short lengths of this stuff from just about any hardware store. IF you want white instead of black, use PVC.[/strike]

Aw, forget what I just said. I guess a Teleflex 2" gauge has a body size that is about 2.13". I fabricated things like this out of plastic when I had a lathe. Unfortunately, had to get rid of the lathe when I moved to the current house because I didn't have the space.

Sorry I can't help.

LDUBS said:
[strike]Huh, will it fit inside a 2" ABS Sched 40 pipe? Seems like it should. If yes, then you can use that for a tube to mount it in and then use a 45 deg fitting if you want it at an angle. Typically you can buy short lengths of this stuff from just about any hardware store. IF you want white instead of black, use PVC.[/strike]

Aw, forget what I just said. I guess a Teleflex 2" gauge has a body size that is about 2.13". I fabricated things like this out of plastic when I had a lathe. Unfortunately, had to get rid of the lathe when I moved to the current house because I didn't have the space.

Sorry I can't help.

No problem. I appreciate the thoughts though. I will figure something out.

I may look into something like this but either much smaller/simpler or a home made version. I would put the tach in place of the switches. And since my boat is jon boat I dont have a t-track so would have to bolt it straight to the sides or buy a short t-track section I could attach.
84542569_1435355209972368_964894330378518528_n.jpg

Ended up doing this. Mounted in a 8x8 junction box alongside a Blue Seas Systems switch panel. Have a Blue Seas 12V outlet and dual usb outlet to also install under the tach.

6YNCcHV.jpg

Tnld4Yu.jpg

wmk0002 said:
Ended up doing this. Mounted in a 8x8 junction box alongside a Blue Seas Systems switch panel. Have a Blue Seas 12V outlet and dual usb outlet to also install under the tach.

6YNCcHV.jpg

Tnld4Yu.jpg
Could you share how you attached the junction box to the side of the boat?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Could you share how you attached the junction box to the side of the boat?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I haven’t attached it yet. It’s so deep I don’t want to offset it much at all and I’d prefer not to drill through the sides either. I think I may glue a piece of starboard on like I did for my transducer on the transom and then I can screw directly into that. But I’m still not really sure what I will go with.

Perhaps a couple of brackets over the gunnel to hang it, and / or a piece of angle attached between the ribs to support it from below.

kdgrills said:
Perhaps a couple of brackets over the gunnel to hang it, and / or a piece of angle attached between the ribs to support it from below.

A bracket to the ribs sounds like a good idea. I actually dont mind a couple holes in the side as long as they are above the waterline - so maybe I could rivet the top and attach the bottom with brackets on the rib and be good.

Another question - my motor is set up for remotes despite also having a tiller. What I mean is it does not have the starter button and kill switch on the lower cowling but instead has a wiring harness that would typically plug into remote controls. The harness goes to a 4" junction box which houses a keyed ignition switch and emergency kill switch. I can tap into the tach signal wire from the motor where it goes into the junction box and attach to the tach and then connect the tach to ground and 12V and it works fine. When I attached it to the purple accessory wire on my ignition switch for keyed power, it would not work. After testing it, I found the purple wire was only putting out about 7 volts. I checked the red power wire in the harness and it has 12V like it should and the starter works perfectly fine. Is my ignition switch just bad ? Its kind of an odd one...instead of the typical blade connections, it has wire leads and the back side is epoxied similar to what you would see on a CDI.

Latest posts