Location of fish finders and transducers

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exsystem

Reaction score
Hi,

I currently have a Garmin Striker 4 that I pulled off my kayak. I am in the process of buying another fish finder the Garmin 7sv. Now my question where should I put the larger fish finder, on the front deck or by the cock pit? The boat I am putting these on is a 1548 G3. Also where should I mount the transducers?

Thanks!

I assume you are planning on mounting the front deck sonar’s transducer on the trolling motor? The side imaging transducer on the 7sv is pretty big. Depending on your TM, it may or may not fit on the motor. If you want to make use of the side view feature, you must understand that it really only works while the boat is moving, and if you turn the motor, it messes with the image. If you mount the transducer in the back, you may have enough wire to reach all the way to the front deck. I’ve got a Garmin 7” and a 5 inch. I don’t care for side imaging so I use the transducer built into my Terrova which doesn’t give me side imaging when I put the 7 up front. I have been known to switch them depending on the lake and the style of fishing I plan on doing.

Thanks for the info. My Striker 4 came with a trolling motor mount so I guess that will be the better choice to run up front. Thanks again.

I have the Garmin 7 SV. I also have an older Garmin 300c (I think) The 300C is attached to the trolling motor (Powerdrive V2 24V w/ I-Pilot). For the SV, I mounted it to a RAM mount and added an extra ball on the gunnel toward my front seat. The transducer is at the back of the boat. If I'm trolling, I'll sit in the driver's seat and control the trolling motor with the wireless I-Pilot remote. I'll keep the Garmin 7 SV on the mount near the drivers seat.

If I'm casting or jigging, I'll put the Garmin 7SV on the front Ram mount which puts it just a little behind me on the right. I have enough cord to move between the two easily.

Best of both worlds. Sorry I don't have pictures...

I typically use side imaging more from the console. Have a Garmin 7SV there, and a 5DV up front.

You should be able to network the 4 and the 7, so waypoints are shared between them. Works pretty slick, if you run over something you want to fish, drop a waypoint on the console unit and then go back to it with the bow unit and drop a line.

Latest posts