Trolling Motor Question 1 of 2

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LDUBS

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I’m a little closer to seriously considering adding a trolling motor for the iPilot/co-pilot features. I do a lot of trolling by myself and would use it primarily to hold a course. My boat & gear is well under 2000#. With just me and gear it is likely under 1500#. I’m looking at the Terrova 55# 12V trolling motor.

I’m trying to plan for the “all in” cost beyond the trolling motor itself. Here is what I think I need so far:

Deep Cycle 12V Battery
Battery Case
60 amp circuit breaker or fuse
TM Stabilizer (Kit or DIY)
Battery Cable**
Battery Switch**
Automatic Charging Relay**
Quick Release Mount (optional)
Plug/Socket (optional).

(** included if I decide to charge the TM battery from my outboard’s alternator. I’ll make a second post to ask more about this.)

Am I missing anything?

Thanks.

TM stabilizer? Is that a way to secure the head of the motor while it is stowed? I’ve been using a Minn Kota TM with electric steer, I have a Terrova now, for at least 15 years and have never needed any stabilizer. The locking mechanism prevents the motor from deployment while it is stowed away.

Terrovas disconnect the power when stowed, so there is no need for a switch. If by chance you need to cut power, you can always flip the breaker.

As for the plug, I prefer to hard wire, unless you have the desire to switch it from boat to boat. Same for the QR bracket, unless you want to swap it around, bolt that sucker down, makes it harder to steal.

Not sure what size boat you have, but you'll never find someone that regretted going to 24v. 12v motors really suck down a battery when running hard, a 24 is way more efficient.

I have a 17' Tracker Deep V, with a 45lb Powerdrive I could get right at 2mph wide open. With a 24v Terrova, it'll do about 3.5 mph wide open, and run 2mph all day at 50-70%.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Skipping those "accessories" I don't really need saves me about $150. That is pretty decent feedback in my book!

Scott the stabilizer is exactly that -- to support the shaft/power head when the unit is stowed. I saw it as an accessory and wasn't really sure if it was needed.

I will continue to use my outboard for trolling. My intended use of the TM will be to keep me trolling in a straight line using the iPilot/co-pilot function. I doubt I would use the TM for much else other than occasionally for spot-lock. I really wanted to avoid putting a second battery up front. I need to do some head scratching about this.

Thanks again.

I also have never used a device to hold the head of my trolling motor, but I do cringe a bit when I hit a big bump and see that thing bouncing all around in the rearview mirror. I haven't decided with my new setup if I will do something but I doubt it.

I like a quick release plate so I can take the motor off and store indoors in the winter.

I would highly consider doing a 24v system as well. The biggest reason is run time. Such a huge difference. This is the main reason I am going with a 36v system, so I can run 2 or 3 days without charging. But I will also use this in the salt where there is big current and winds, so the extra power will be great. Like me I assume you will use your main for push and the i-pilot for course correction? If so it will be easy to have that trolling motor running for 6 hours solid before you know it. I think the added run time will be worthwhile if you can fit the batteries.

I'm a fan of the quick release setup for winter storage and for sharing the TM between my 16' and my 12', but I have to leave the boats under tarps for the winter so protecting the TM circuit boards from the cold is a must as I've already had to replace the main control board in the pedal of my Terrova once, shortly into the spring after spending its last winter under the tarp.

Stabilizer isn't just for the TM, I had a Maxxum in my 14' and the weight of that think shaking stressed and cracked the aluminum of the bench surface I had it mounted to from all the flexing. If you've got a really solid boat it might not be necessary, but I'm a fan of a little extra protection on $1,000+ pieces of equipment.

I originally made separate posts for my two questions. Now I see there is a lot of overlap and I wish I had put them both on one thread!

I recognize the value of the quick release mount, but realistically doubt I would ever use it. Winters here are pretty mild. I also have easy access to the underside of the bow plate if I have to remove the TM. Considering the structure of my boat, the stabilizer is probably a good thing. The ones I saw were kind of pricey which makes me want to fabricate one. I'll have to see how it goes.

Anyway, all of the feedback sure helped me avoid some issues. Now it is back to the drawing board for the always present budget considerations. Haha

You could easily make a stabilizer I've never used one on my powerdrive v2 which I got used. My powerdrive has stayed outside in not so great indiana weather most the time it still works fine. But I do always disconnect my foot pedal and store in it in my rod box out of the weather as I know they don't fair well sitting out all the time. I have a 12v powerdrive with co pilot, I'm upgrading to a terrova 24v with ipilot link soon I picked up a deal on a used one this past fall. I have a quick release they aren't much I got mine off ebay for much cheaper than what bps cabelas or any dealer sells them for. I just kept my eyes peeled and found a new one that a private seller put up for cheap. I may make a support for the shaft idk. I've seen ones made from a multitude of tubing/pipe. My 12v 55lb thrust has served me well and has done well, but the additional run time and power of 24v will be nice in river current.

Latest posts