tilt/trim relay problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon-ny Cash

Reaction score
I have recently upgraded from my tin boat and a day later the motor starts having problems. Its something simple but electrical is slightly above my pay grade. Its a 2015 suzuki 140 4 stroke and as soon as you turn the main battery switch on the motor trims up with no stopping it. i disconnected the switch on the controls and on the outboard and its still doing it. there is also nothing at all on google so ive turned to the ol' faithful for advise. Anybody got any?

Post some pics of the switch panel, the fuse block and try by passing the main battery switch. Use jumper cables to go around the switch.

Between the switch and the linear actuator on the motor is a relay. A relay is an electrically operated switch.

circuit-symbol-relay-02.svg

When you turn on the console switch, it provides power to the magnetic coil in the relay. This coil only draws a small amount of current (Amps). There is a heavy duty switch inside the relay and that magnetic coil pulls that switch closed. The heavy duty switch in the relay can carry the large amount of current required to run the motor to trim your outboard. A relay lets you use a small amount of electrical current from your center console to control a bigger electrical current. This prevents having large wires and high currents in your console.

Some relays have more than one switch internally. The switch configurations inside the relay can be different. Double Pole, Single Pole, Double Throw, Single Throw, and others.

When you flip the switch on your console, the magnetic coil in the relay is energized and the switch inside the relay closes sending power to the trim motor. I suspect your relay contacts have welded shut since your relay seems to be closed even with the wire is disconnected from the console. Have someone put their ear to the relay or use a long screwdriver with the point touching the relay and the handle pressed up against their ear. You want to hear if the switch inside the relay clicks. Turn on power. If the relay contacts are welded shut, no click. If there is a click, the relay is probably okay. Although, a relay can have more than one switch inside. One could be good while another could be bad. Pull the relay from it's base. There is often a wiring diagram printed on the relay showing what each pin does. A continuity tester will tell you if the relay contacts are open or close and the diagram will tell you if they are supposed to be open or closed.

If you have separate relays for tilt and trim or separate relays for up and down, swap relays and see something different happens. When you move the bad relay to a different function, that function should now operate when it isn't wanted.

On one of my old boats, the trim switch in the throttle control would stick in the up position and it actually tilted the motor up out of the water while I was running. I replaced that switch and it worked fine. It could be that switch or a relay like he mentioned.

Maintenance guy has a good suggestion. Basically treat the relays like checking for faulty coils on an outboard - by moving them to new locations (ie swapping them) and seeing if the problem follows. If it does then you have a relay that is stuck open and if it doesn't then you have an issue with one of the switches delivering 12V power to it.

More times than not when I have run across one acting as this one is it has been the switch for the tilt/trim itself. not the relay.

Latest posts