Fortrex 80 or Edge 70 for 14' Tin - Concerned About Actual Weight of TM

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was going to go with a Fortrex 80 for my 14' Lowe Roughneck, but when the package arrived, I must have forgotten how heavy those motors are. I think the listed package weight was 81 or 88 lbs.

This Lowe Roughneck 1448 boat I have is really very light and a bit tippy up on the bow. The tippiness is not really that bad, but I am wondering if going with an Edge 70 might be better just because it's really a much lighter motor weight wise. I'm not sure exactly how much lighter, but probably as much as 20-30 pounds lighter I think.

Obviously, the Edge has some real drawbacks being a 5 speed and not a variable speed. I have had a couple of those Edges before and while mechanically, they were fantastic, there were a whole bunch of times when not having exactly the right speed really bugged me. Ha!

But again, it might pay off keeping the weight up on the bow as light as possible just for better balance and handling. I'm not entirely sure.

Lets keep the discussion to those two TMs. Not interested in the Maxxum or any other TM. Thanks!