Auto-off circuit for my Garmin

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CedarRiverScooter

Reaction score
I have a Garmin fishfinder which doesn't have built-in auto off. Twice, I had forgotten to turn it off & then 2 weeks later when I get to boat ramp, dead battery.

So I bought this timer relay, was $20 delivered.

http://timers.shop/Multi-Functional-3V-18V-Time-Delay-Relay-Timer-5-amp_p_12.html

You can program it in various ways. I set it up to turn off after 2 hours. It doesn't take hardy any power when off (spec says it would take 5 years to drain a 9V battery).

Happy ending on this project!

Attachments

• timer.jpg
    timer.jpg
    855 bytes · Views: 204
Having one of those "faulty" memories, I think that this is a terrific idea. I am in the habit of removing my FF from the boat. But now that I think about it, that is one more task I could eliminate from the launch/load routine.

LD - If you go this route, I can help you with the wiring schematic & programming (it was easy, only took 2 tries!).

My wife drives the boat onto the trailer, so I am not the one who shuts it off. So many things to remember, but I have only forgotten the plug once . . .

I need to wire one of these into my pontoon radio. My wife constantly leaves the radio on and it's drained down the battery before. I go to put it away and what do I hear?, the radio going.

Latest posts