New boat owner here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starwalt

Reaction score
I have done some research and still dont fully understand marine batteries..the bci group size o ly refers to the physical size of the battery, yes? I currently have 2 27dc-6 batteries in my 93 pro17 bass tracker, it has Johnson Johnson 60hp on it and then all the other usual electronics....do I need to stick with these sizes of batteries?

No you don’t, as in I have a really good Interstate (arguably the best wet cells going) in a G24 that puts out close to 1,000 CCA, for a starting battery.

I ran a single Johnson Controls (sold by Walmart) dual-purpose G24 battery in my old 16’ Starcraft w/ same engine and never had an electrical or power issue. I don’t worry about the size, but specs & brand. Those listed or Optima (if going gel cell) are the only 2 brands I use.

It sounds like your batteries are deep cycle so you want to stick with that, especially if the boat has a trolling motor and/or fish finder.

Group sizing in batteries only describes the physical size of the batteries. It doesn't have anything to do with capacity. However, larger batteries generally have higher capacities because they can.

Latest posts