Lund SSV 14 - outfitting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaSola5312

Reaction score
Will be buying a 2020 Lund SSV 14 with a Mercury 20hp electric start. I know very little about electronics, wiring, batteries, chargers, switchers, etc. I need the simplest plan there is (or 2 or 3 options) for the following. Mercury 20hp electric start, one cranking battery, one 30 or 40 lb trolling motor (too big?), one deep cycle for the trolling motor, a Garmin Striker Plus 5CV, a battery for the Garmin? an onboard charger or just have one at home?

Do I keep each of the 3 batteries separate or link them? Am I adding too much weight to the rear of the boat? I think the outboard charges the cranking battery but what about the deep cycle? How do I get AC power on a little boat or should I just carry the deep cycle home and charge it on my kitchen table. Where would you put everything on the boat? Under port side driver seat, gas or cranking or deep cycle? Under the starboard back seat, gas or cranking or deep cycle? Do I bolt the Garmin into the seat and remove it when I go? Do I take the Garmin battery with me? How do I organize all of these wires and the gas hose and run the wire over the transom from the Transducer?

I will describe how my boat is set up.

There are two batteries: A cranking battery and a deep cycle for the bow mounted trolling motor. The batteries are not connected in any way. The cranking battery is at the typical location near the transom. The deep cycle trolling motor battery is about 3/4 of the way forward for weight distribution (it weighs 67 lbs).

Everything except my trolling motor runs off the cranking battery. That includes a fish finder, down riggers, bilge pump, 12v socket, USB plug, and nav lights. Note that to avoid potential electrical interference I ran a dedicated circuit from the cranking battery to the fish finder. The cranking battery is charged by the outboard's alternator.

The deep cycle battery handles only the trolling motor. It is kept charged by a battery charger that is permanently mounted on board. When I get home from a day on the water, I plug the charger into a 110v outlet using an extension cord. It is a "smart" charger so won't overcharge the battery. They do make battery chargers that will handle more than one battery. So if you wanted to make sure both your TM and cranking batteries were topped off, you would get a "2 bank" charger. They also make portable chargers that would be clipped to the battery terminals for each use (kind of a hassle, IMO). I honestly don't know if they make "muli bank" portable chargers.

Of course, make sure any circuits you add are properly sized and protected with fuses or breakers. That includes the cable run from your deep cycle battery to your trolling motor.

The only other thing I might offer is my opinion that your Garmin Striker shouldn't use very much juice. I would not think a 3rd battery just for the Garmin is needed. If it turns out to be an issue, you can always add one later I guess.

PS: Congrats on the new boat.

Latest posts